Repayment and Deferment

Generally, the repayment period for federal student loans is ten (10) years. Extended and/or income-contingent repayment plans are available to qualified borrowers. You must begin repaying your loan once you graduate, withdraw from school (formally or informally), or drop below half-time status (6 credits).

You can find important information about repayment rights and responsibilities, grace periods, managing your debt, and tracking your loan at

Entrance and Exit Counseling

New School students who borrow under the federal loan programs are required to receive Entrance Counseling prior to borrowing and Exit Counseling when they graduate, withdraw from school, or drop below half-time status (6 credits).

  • Entrance counseling is conducted online at
  • Exit counseling is conducted online at nslds

The New School receives an electronic notification when a student has completed the online counseling.

Deferment and Enrollment Verification

Enrollment verification is necessary for deferral of loan repayment during a students ongoing course of study. The Office of the Registrar provides official evidence of enrollment at The New School for health insurance agencies, housing authorities, banks, etc.

  • If you are a registered student, request enrollment verification online through the My.NewSchool portal or at the National Student Clearinghouse.
  • If you are not currently registered, contact the Office of the Registrar at 212-229-5620.

The National Student Clearinghouse provides enrollment certification to lenders, guarantors, and/or loan servicers as requested by the student. Throughout the semesters a student is in attendance, any changes in enrollment status are updated automatically.

Please consult with your lender, guarantee agency, or servicer to determine whether they require a Loan Deferment Request Form to be filed every semester or if a single request form is sufficient for the duration of your in-school enrollment.

If you are seeking to defer loan repayment for reasons other than ongoing in-school enrollment (due to economic hardship, for example), you must contact the lender or loan servicer for information about available options.

Connect with the New School