Student Activities Finance Committee
The Student Activities Finance Committee (SAFC) is charged with funding events and programs developed by recognized New School student organizations that meet the eligibility requirements set forth in the SAFC processes and procedures. The goal of the committee is to assist student groups in offering enriching events to the New School community.
Recognized student organizations can submit funding proposals with an SAFC Budget Request. Interested applicants should carefully review the committee's policies and procedures.
2013-2014 SAFC Deadlines:
- September 6
- September 20
- October 18
- November 15
- December 6
- February 7
- February 21
- March 21
- April 25
SAFC works within the Office of Student Development
and Activities (OSDA). Our meetings are held monthly on the Tuesday following the deadlines listed above. Meetings take place at 12:00 noon at 90 Fifth Avenue, room 209. For more information, call 212.229.5687 or email SAFC@newschool.edu.
Funding will be an event-specific allocation, made to fund one event. However, groups may submit an allocation request for more than one
event during a semester. Funds can be used only for the event for which support was requested.
All allocations are made the week following the deadlines listed above and are not
made at any other time during the semester.
Organizations that believe their SAFC funding allocation is insufficient may file an appeal with the SAFC. The
appeal will consist of a one-page written declaration of the intent to
appeal and a brief summary of the basis of the appeal. After an appeal has been filed, the SAFC will arrange a formal hearing
with the group to come to an agreement. Organizations that are dissatisfied with the outcome of the hearing may submit an appeal to the director of Student Development and Activities.
- Any recognized
student organization may submit a form to apply
for funds distributed by the SAFC.
making requests must submit standardized budget request forms to the
SAFC for review by the specified
- SAFC will not accept incomplete budget
request forms from any student organization. Resolutions from the hearing will be sent to all organizations within one week of the deadline.
Finance Committee must submit any supplemental information to the
Finance Committee Advisor at least 48 hours prior to budget
presentation/hearing to allow for evaluation.
organizations receiving SAFC funding must have students participants involved in decisions about how fee money is spent. Students must be involved in the
development of policies and budgets for any proposal that comes before
who wish to place an item on the agenda must contact the Finance
Committee Chair at least one working day in advance and supply
copies of supporting documentation for all committee members at that
- The full
committee will address any requests from SAFC receiving
organizations. Finance Committee members should not take part in presentations made to the committee by fund-receiving organizations or communicate with the committee on behalf of the
fund-receiving organizations in any way.
Finance Committee member or alternate who participates in the
preparation of a student organization funding request will communicate
the level and scope of participation to the Committee Chair. The Chair
will provide the information to the Full Committee prior to the budget
presentations. This information will be received without prejudice.
applying for funds must be a university recognized student group that
is currently registered with the Office of Student Development and Activities.
receiving funds from the Student Activities Finance Committee shall
demonstrate expenditures in general compliance with their submitted
budgets and all financial records for all groups who receive Student
Activities Finance Committee funds shall be available for student
procedures, including responses to recommendations from the SAFC audits, must be in effect to ensure accountability (programmatic,
service, financial, constituency).
- All groups applying for Student Activities Finance Committee funds must complete the standardized request form.
fund-receiving groups must adhere to accounting procedures approved by
the Student Activities Finance Committee and the OSDA.
groups applying for Student Activities Finance Committee funds must
comply with all deadlines established by the Student Activities Finance
for exceptions must be submitted in writing and received at least two
weeks prior to the deadline for submission. Exceptions require approval
of the Student Activities Finance Committee.
- Act as presiding officer of the Student Activities Finance Committee;
- Set the agenda (the Committee may modify the agenda by a majority vote);
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the Committee;
administrative duties to include but not be limited to the scheduling of
meeting rooms, distribution of correspondence, publishing public
hearing and redress dates/times/locations, and other duties as necessary;
- Authenticate, by signature, all acts and proceedings of the Committee when declaring its will;
- Coordinate with the Finance Committee’s Advisor on matters pertaining to the Committee and the finance process;
- Perform all other duties deemed necessary and proper to ensure a functional and uniform process.
- No student may serve on the Finance Committee without participating in all mandatory training and SAFC orientation activities.
at-large representatives and an unlimited number of ranked alternates
to the Finance Committee shall be selected by a majority of the voting
selection committee members.
- Five at-large representatives to the Finance Committee shall be appointed for one-year terms.
- Re-application to the selection committee is required to be approved for additional terms.
administrator shall be appointed by the OSDA to serve as the advisor
(non-voting). The chairperson shall be a student member.
- New Finance Committee members shall attend an informational session for funds-receiving organizations.
- Committee members shall attend budget request presentations.
- Committee members shall attend public hearings.
- Each member will be expected to attend the entire session of the final hearing.
you are an active member of a student organization receiving funds, you
have to abstain voting when reviewing that organization's
- Votes by proxy are not allowed.
- Absentee ballots are not allowed.
- Any official action will require majority approval of those casting a "yes" or "no" vote.
- Finance committee members shall not vote on the final allocation of a group of which they are elected, appointed, or employed.
A quorum is declared as greater than 50 percent (at least 3) of the filled seats of the voting members on the committee.
of all meetings will be available to the public upon request and will
consist of all resolutions adopted as well as minority statements and
statements of strong personal objection. In general, the minutes of the
meetings will serve as the mode of communicating information to the
Student Activities Finance Committee is charged with making
responsible, viewpoint-neutral recommendations for funding awarded to
recognized student organizations. The committee must evaluate requests
according to the viewpoint-neutral criteria listed below. Although the
committee has the authority to weight and apply the criteria, the
committee must consistently apply all criteria to each group applying
Extent of contribution to one or more of the following:
- Providing a service to the student body;
- Supplementing the academic curriculum;
- Helping to foster community at The New School;
- Quality and quantity of programs and services provided to the student body, consistent with the mission of the organization;
of and demand for the programs and services provided (groups must
quantify their answers with data such as attendance numbers at events,
number of phone calls/office visits, inquiries, and must
specify methods of tabulation and provide documentation
- Breadth of service to students across all divisions;
- Targeting of programs and services to the largest number of students consistent with the need;
- Demonstration of financial need that cannot be fulfilled with alternative sources of income.