The New School has implemented procedures to ensure that reports of missing students are properly investigated.
When students enter the university, they are asked to provide a permanent home address and phone number, as well as emergency contact information. In addition, email and telephone information is automatically entered into New School Alerts, a campus-wide emergency notification system. Each academic year, students are reminded by email of the importance of updating this information. Students may update this information at any point during the academic year by logging into MyNewSchool. An individual listed as the emergency contact should be someone with whom a student maintains regular contact and who is likely to know where that student is and how to contact him or her.
Any member of the university community who believes that a student is missing should immediately complete an Incident Report and submit that report to the director of Security and the assistant vice president for Student and Campus Life. The Incident Report should list all pertinent information and address the questions below:
- Is the student missing from the campus, his or her family residence, or another location?
- Is there a witness to or physical evidence of abduction or other foul play?
- Was the student despondent or mentally or physically disabled when last seen?
- Was the student experiencing academic, personal, or financial problems when last seen?
- Has the student disappeared before?
- Does the student have a known drug and/or alcohol problem?
- Has the student received any threats or warnings?
- What was the student's lifestyle? Does the student have a criminal record?
- Did the student or perpetrator leave a note?
- Have similar incidents been reported within the area (attempted abductions, suspicious persons)?
Upon receipt of a report that a student is missing, the university will first attempt to reach the student using the personal contact information in the institution’s student information system. If, within four (4) hours, the student has not been reached, the university will next attempt to reach the student’s emergency contact. If the student does not communicate with university personnel within twenty (20) hours after speaking with the student’s emergency contact, the university will notify both the missing student’s parent or guardian and the local authorities to indicate that the student has been missing for 24 hours.
Once a student is located, his or her health
and well-being will be of the utmost priority. Appropriate referrals will be
made to support services. Student Services and University Security will assist
local law enforcement in all ways prescribed by law.