• On-Campus Student Checklist

    Sheila Johnson Design Center

    Congratulations on your admission to The New School! Welcome to our extraordinary university community of passionate students, faculty, and staff.

    Use the list below to ensure you've completed everything that's needed before classes begin. Explore this site to learn about New Student Orientation, Welcome Weekend, registering for classes, and more.

    Note: If you have not yet deposited, please visit the Accepted Students tab in MyNewSchool before continuing.

    New School Email and MyNewSchool Announcements

    All new students will be assigned a New School email account within two business days of receipt of their tuition deposit. You can access your New School email account by logging in to MyNewSchool, where you will find the Email icon in the Apps grid at the top right of the page.

    On the MyNewSchool Me tab you will find University Announcements, where important information and updates from your school and program will be posted along with events, workshops, special offers, and opportunities.

    It is important that you check your MyNewSchool announcements and New School email account regularly. Remember that all official university email communications will be sent only to this email address.

    University Housing

    Review rates and apply for student housing at Student Housing and Residence Life. Campus housing cannot be guaranteed but is assigned as available. Note: Housing applications cannot be processed until both tuition and housing deposits have been received. If you have any questions, contact Student Housing and Residence Life at 212.229.5459 or email

    Final Transcript

    The New School requires all enrolled students to present proof of completion of secondary school (proof of high school graduation) before the start of their first semester of classes. Failure to do so will result in a hold on your account that prevents registration for subsequent semesters and could jeopardize your financial aid. Please review the list of documents (PDF) we accept as proof of graduation and email if your particular situation and school documentation is not outlined in the list.
    When submitting transcripts as proof of graduation, arrange for your final academic transcript to be forwarded to The New School before you arrive on campus. If you recently graduated, it is likely that the transcript you submitted during the application process is not a final version that includes your graduation date. To finalize your admission to The New School, use the Transcript Request Form (PDF) to request a final transcript (including your graduation date) to be sent to the Office of Admission. Transcripts that are uploaded with the online application or that are not in a sealed envelope are considered unofficial and do not fulfill this requirement.


    New York State law requires that students registered for six (6) or more credits provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, and complete Step 1 of the immunization form regarding meningococcal disease. Students registered for five (5) or fewer credits and online-only students are required to complete Step 1 of the immunization form regarding meningococcal disease.

    Download the immunization form on the Student Health Services website and carefully read the instructions. Submit the completed form and required documentation, and verify that you have read the material distributed by The New School about meningococcal disease. If you do not complete these steps, a hold will be placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for classes and making changes to your class schedule.

    If you have already submitted your immunization records and received confirmation that they are complete, no further action is necessary. For more information, email or visit the Student Health Services website.

    New School ID Card

    As a member of the New School community, you are required to obtain a newcard, your official university ID card. It functions as your key to campus facilities and student services. Your newcard must be presented for building access, library lending, and meal plan purchases.

    As a new incoming student, you must—before arriving on campus—submit a color photo online to be used to create your newcard. For more information, visit the newcard website.

    Student Health Insurance

    All degree, diploma, online-only, visiting, mobility (study abroad), Lang and Parsons consortium, graduate certificate program, ESL+Design program, ESL+Music program, and non-matriculating graduate and undergraduate degree program students are automatically enrolled in Student Health Services and the student health insurance plan provided for The New School by Aetna Student Health. The insurance premium is charged at registration.

    If you are an undergraduate student registered for six (6) or more credits, you can waive your New School coverage if you have equivalent medical insurance by submitting the Online Waiver Form (check back for the fall 2015 deadline and link to Online Waiver Form). Undergraduate students registered for five (5) or fewer credits and all graduate students can waive coverage without providing proof of alternate health insurance coverage. (Please note that this health insurance waiver form must be submitted at the beginning of each academic year, or by the spring waiver deadline if you are not registered in the fall semester.)

    For more information, email or visit Student Health Services.

    Disability Accommodations (if applicable)

    Students interested in requesting reasonable accommodations for a disability should complete the Disability Self-Identification Form. For more information, visit Student Disability Services.

    Welcome Weekend for Freshmen and Their Parents

    All first-time freshmen are encouraged to attend Welcome Weekend for Freshmen and Their Parents, which takes place Thursday, August 20, through Sunday, August 23, 2015. View the Welcome Weekend page to learn more.

    Financial Aid

    All new students who have submitted a tuition deposit should already have completed the financial aid process. If you have not yet applied for aid, visit Student Financial Services for information and instructions.

    If you are eligible for financial aid (or scholarships) and have a completed application on file, you can check the status online by logging in to MyNewSchool and accessing your financial aid information in the Student Financial Services section. All new students receiving financial aid in the form of federal government-supported student loans must complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session online at

    If you are an international undergraduate or graduate student, learn more about funding options by visiting Student Financial Services.

    If you have not yet deposited, please visit the Accepted Student tab in MyNewSchool before continuing.

    International Students

    Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents (green card holders) must complete the required forms before they can apply for a visa to study in the United States. International students can access the link to the online International Student Application Packet in their acceptance letters or in the Accepted Students tab in MyNewSchool. The webpage includes information about applying for the I-20 or DS-2019, guidelines for providing financial documents, instructions and procedures for F-1 transfer students, and other important forms and information. For more information, visit International Student and Scholar Services.

    Emergency Contact Form

    All new students must provide emergency contact information. To update your emergency contact information, log in to MyNewSchool and visit the Me tab, where you will find a link to "Update Emergency Contact Information" in the Personal Information channel. The university may use the contact information you provide in case of an emergency. If this information changes, please return to MyNewSchool to update it.

    Updated Mailing Address

    Keep your mailing address up-to-date at MyNewSchool. All official university mailings will be sent to this address.