Externship Opportunities at New School Counseling Services
Counseling Services offers an externship program for qualified graduate students in psychology. Participants work two days a week and see eight or nine clients weekly.
About New School Counseling Services
The New School offers free counseling to matriculated undergraduate and graduate students who have paid the Student Health Services fee. The following counseling services are provided: crisis intervention, short-term individual and group therapy, information and referrals to community providers, psychiatric consultation and short-term medication management, health promotion, and training for faculty and staff. The therapeutic modality is supportive and eclectic, with a psychodynamic emphasis.
New School Counseling Services is located in the offices of Student Health Services (SHS), at 80 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor, alongside Medical Services, Student Health Insurance, and Wellness and Health Promotion.
- Conduct intakes
- Conduct short-term individual psychotherapy (12-session limit)
- Conduct crisis interventions, which may include collateral contacts with family, faculty, staff, and outside care providers
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and medical practitioners
- Have opportunities to present cases and attend case presentations with the professional staff
- Collaborate with the Student Support and Crisis Management office and the Student Rights and Responsibilities office
- Receive two hours of individual supervision and one hour of group supervision
- Participate in a seminar
Requirements: Applicants must be students in good standing in a PhD program in clinical or counseling psychology and must have completed at least one clinical externship.
Materials required for application: CV, one-page letter addressing the candidate's interest in working in a university counseling service (not a recap of résumé), and two letters of recommendation
Note that New School externs working in Counseling Services are not permitted to provide program services to psychology students at The New School for Social Research.
At this time, New School Counseling Services cannot provide research or psychological testing opportunities for externs.