• Reporting Sexual Assault

    The university makes every effort to protect student privacy and only shares information on a need-to-know basis. Students are also given limited immunity from other policy violations (for example, possession of illegal substances, underage drinking, etc.) relating to the reported incident in the event that other university policies were violated. Report sexual assault to any of the New School offices given in the sidebar.

    To understand the process initiated once a Sexual Assault has been reported to The New School, see the Reporting Procedures under the Sexual Assault policy.

    Reporting Assaults to Police

    To report the assault to the police, go to the precinct corresponding to the area where the crime occurred or call the New York Police Department Special Victims Report Line at 646.610.7273. The hotline allows you to get information without disclosing your name, meaning you can decide whether or not to go through with the reporting process. 

    Deciding to report is your choice except in two cases

    1. If there is suspicion of child abuse, in which case a report to the Administration for Children’s Services is mandated
    2. If there is an assault with a deadly weapon, in which case medical staff must report the crime to the police.

    Reporting a sexual assault to the police does not obligate you to file criminal charges or pursue other legal action. Prompt reporting and a comprehensive medical examination completed at a hospital emergency department within 96 hours of the assault will enable the victim to file criminal charges at a later date if he or she wishes to do so.

    Crime Victim Compensation

    If you are the victim of a crime in New York State, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement of crime-related costs. You can file a claim with the New York State Crime Victims Board even if you do not file charges with the police. There is no maximum amount for medical expenses.

    More information can be found through the Office of Victim Services or the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards.

    Students who seek further financial assistance are encouraged to inquire about the Carol and Milton Petrie Foundation Emergency Fund. The fund assists qualified students who are experiencing acute short-term financial emergencies. More information can be obtained by contacting Student and Campus Life at 212.229.5900 x3655 or

    Reporting sexual assault can be scary and daunting, but failing to report a crime when it happens makes it increasingly difficult to take legal action against your assailant. Knowing that anxiety about reporting is common may help you decide to take action. Learn about some common barriers to reporting here.