• FAQ

    Financial Aid

  • Can non-degree and certificate students obtain financial aid?

    Students admitted to professional certificate programs and the Diploma program of Mannes College Extension Division may be eligible for certain kinds of financial aid. Prospective students should consult with an admission counselor. Certificate programs eligible for U.S. government aid are: Documentary Media Studies, Leadership and Change, Media Management, Organization Development, and Sustainability Strategies. File FAFSA to apply. Students admitted to the Documentary Media Studies program are automatically considered for an institutional merit scholarship; separate application is not required.

    Other certificate students and non-degree students in general are not eligible for New School or government financial aid. Private lenders may offer loans for certificate students who meet their minimum credit score and/or income requirements.

    Do I have to formally apply for financial aid?

    Yes, if you are a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen eligible for U.S. government financial aid. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at; use school code 002780. Filing FAFSA prompts Student Financial Services to begin working on a financial aid package for you.

    YES, if you are an international student admitted to 1) the undergraduate program of The New School for Public Engagement or 2) an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) program at Parsons The New School for Design. File the Undergraduate International Student Scholarship Application.

    YES, if you are an international student applying to a graduate program of The New School for Social Research. While, you will be considered automatically for certain institutional scholarships, you must file a separate application with your academic department in order to be considered for scholarships, fellowships, and grants administered by The New School for Social Research.

    NO, if you are an international student applying to Eugene Lang College, Mannes College The New School for Music, Parsons The New School for Design (except AAS programs), or The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music. Undergraduate and graduate international students are automatically considered for applicable scholarships and grants as part of the admission process.

    My Student Aid Report states that I was selected for "verification." What does that mean?

    Approximately one in three students who apply for federal student aid are asked to verify information reported on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to aid being finalized or disbursed. This is usually because of an error made in filling out the application, but applicants are selected as a random sample. This is required by U.S. government regulations. If your application was selected, you must complete the verification worksheet and return it to Student Financial Services with any requested documents and signatures as stated in your Student Aid Report. Failure to submit verification within 30 days of notification may lead to reduction or forfeiture of your financial aid..

    When will I be notified about my financial aid?

    Newly admitted students are sent an official award letter before the beginning of their first academic term as well as notification to their New School email with instructions to check their student accounts at If you are required to file FAFSA (or another application form), the timing of the award letter may be depend on when you filed.

    Continuing students are notified the same way prior to the beginning of each school year.

    What is included in the cost of attendance?

    Your cost of attendance (COA) is based on both actual charges, such as your tuition, fees, and (if applicable) on-campus housing, and third-party estimates of additional expenses. Note: tuition, fees , and housing costs (PDF) may vary by academic program and housing preference.

    My aid package doesn't cover my expenses. What are my options?

    Financial aid awards are not negotiable. If the combination of institutional and government supported scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study leaves you short, talk to an advisor in Student Financial Services.

    We can help you explore other financing options, such as external scholarships and grants and Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS and private loans, which may be available up to the estimated cost of attendance for your program.

    The New School also has monthly payment plan (not a loan), which enables students/families to spread tuition and housing payments over a semester or a school year.

    How can I check on the status of my financial aid?

    Student Financial Services will notify you promptly by email to your New School box when financial aid has been posted to your account and also if your award is changed for any reason. You can view your financial aid award online anytime through (quick link from My Financial Aid in the right column of this page).

    You must email SFS from your New School account or come to the office if you wish to discuss details of your financial aid.

    My financial aid package includes loans. What is a reasonable amount of college debt based on my earning expectations when I graduate?

    If you are concerned about borrowing to pay for your education, talk to a Student Financial Services advisor.

    Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

    FAFSA must be refiled annually. Student Financial Services sends out regular reminders, but it is your responsibility to submit a new financial aid application before the deadline.

    Students receiving merit-based scholarships and fellowships from the university do not normally have to reapply for these. International students receiving financial aid from the university do not have to reapply annually.

    Is my financial aid taxable income?

    Scholarships and fellowships are tax-free if used to pay tuition and other academic fees. Grants for living expenses may be taxable. For official information, consult Publication 970, available on the U.S. Internal Revenue Service website.

    What if I make a credit card payment for more than I owe on my account?

    The New School is required to refund any overpayments made by a credit card back to the credit card company. The convenience fee will not be refunded for the portion overpaid.

  • Billing and Payment

  • With whom can I speak if I have a question about my student account or a particular bill?

    Contact Student Financial Services by email from your New School email or call or visit the office during business hours.

    Why haven't I received a bill for my tuition and fees?

    The New School does not mail paper invoices. You will receive a notification in your New School email box whenever a new or modified invoice has been posted. You can view your invoice by going online to and opening your Student Financial Services account.

    What is the latest I can pay my tuition and fees balance due?

    • New students and any student who registers in person: Payment is due at the point of registration for classes.
    • Continuing students who preregister: Invoices for the fall semester are mailed in July with a payment due date of August 10; invoices for the spring semester are mailed in December with a payment due date of January 10.

    If you wish to defer payment pending receipt of expected financial aid or because a third party is paying, policies and procedures are described on this website under Billing and Payment.

    What is the best way to pay my student account balance?

    We encourage all students to make payments online with a credit card or ACH transfer from a bank account. Your parents may give authorization to use their credit card or bank account. Log on to and go to Student Financial Services for instructions. There are also instructions for wire transfer of payment, which may be helpful for international students. For other payment options, go to Billing and Payment.

    How can I get a copy of my bill?

    Download your invoice from If you wish, you can designate an authorized third party (parent, employer, sponsor, etc.) to view your student account invoice online.

    What if my financial aid is not reflected on my bill?

    If anticipated scholarships, grants, or loans do not appear on your invoice as credits or pending items, it is likely that certain requirements for these have not been provided or are incomplete. Go to to review the status of your financial aid package and follow up on any missing documentation. If charges are deferred pending expected financial aid and aid is not forthcoming by the assigned due date, you are responsible for paying the balance due. Contact Student Financial Services promptly if you have questions.

    I have my own insurance. Do I have to pay the student health insurance charge?

    Degree, diploma, non-matriculating, and graduate certificate students are automatically charged health insurance and Health Services fees. Under certain circumstances, these fees may be waived. To learn more about this benefit of enrollment and whether you are eligible to waive it, go to Student Health Services .

  • Work-Study

  • When can I begin working?

    As soon as all work-study authorization and payroll documents are on file. Go to your Student Financial Services account on to make sure there no outstanding documents that would delay your work-study appointment. Note to continuing students: The Work Authorization form must be renewed for each fiscal year (July 1–June 30).

    How many hours can I work?

    Your wages are not permitted to exceed the total amount of your work-study award. Otherwise, The New School permits you to work up to 20 hours a week during fall and spring semesters and up to 40 hours a week during official university recesses.

    Will Work-Study pay be applied to my tuition balance?

    No. It is paid to you as personal income. As such, it is subject to federal and state taxes.

    How often will I be paid?

    Work-study employee are paid bi-weekly. It is your responsibility to submit a complete, signed payroll authorization to the Payroll Office in advance of each pay period. Time sheets submitted late not be will be paid until the subsequent pay cycle.

    Why was my time sheet not processed?

    Either: Your Work Authorization form was incomplete or was not submitted. Contact Student Financial Services immediately.

    Or: Your time sheet was incomplete, unsigned, or submitted after the 12:00 noon Friday deadline. Time sheets lacking correct dates and/or the payee's or supervisor's signature will not be processed by the payroll office. Review your time sheet with your supervisor.

  • Protecting Your Privacy

  • Why won't Student Financial Services answer questions about my account?

    Under terms of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we cannot disclose any information about your individual student account except by email to your official New School email address, in writing to your official address of record, or in person (with identification).

    Note: You have complete access to your student records through the online portal at, including financial aid awards, accounts payable and receivable, university payroll, grades, and degree audit.

    I'm paying my child's tuition. Why don't I have access to his/her account?

    Due to confidentiality requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) , The New School is not always able to disclose information even to parents. There is an option for a student to give a third party (such as parents) access to his/her financial and academic information, but that is up to the student. Student Financial Services will be as forthcoming as we are permitted under the law. We ask for understanding if we cannot answer your questions.