• Apply for Aid

    The New School funds a variety of institutional scholarships, fellowships, grants, and stipends as part of its comprehensive financial aid program. The university also participates in U.S. and state government grant, loan, and work-study programs and programs for veterans of the U.S. armed services.

    Who Is Eligible for Financial Aid?

    • Every student admitted to an undergraduate or graduate degree program and those admitted to selected continuing education diploma and certificate programs may qualify for financial aid based on academic merit and/or financial need. Admission counselors can answer most questions about eligibility, or you can email your questions to
    • Students taking courses but not admitted to a degree, diploma, or graduate-level certificate program are not eligible for financial aid.

    For a quick overview, download the Financial Aid Eligibility and Application Chart (PDF).

    As part of the admission process, students admitted to full-time degree programs are considered for merit-based institutional scholarships and grants applicable to their programs. Scholarship awards are usually included in letters of acceptance and are normally renewed from year to year as long as the recipient is making satisfactory academic progress.

    Students seeking need-based grants, loans, and work-study aid must apply through Student Financial Services as described below. U.S. citizens and eligible residents apply by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    How We Determine Financial Aid Awards

    On the basis of your intended program of study, your personal and family financial information, your academic merit in the eyes of your admission committee, and any external sources of funding, Student Financial Services puts together a comprehensive package of financial assistance. This may include any combination of grants, loans, and work-study, which will be described in an official award letter mailed to your address of record.  Award letters also include a set of Award Terms and Conditions (PDF). Note: Financial aid awards are not negotiable.

    New Students

    Go to the appropriate page for application information:

    Continuing Students

    Continuing student financial aid award processing begins in April and extends through the summer months. Students should check the status of their financial aid and their student accounts online at on a regular basis.

    All continuing students must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in order for financial aid of any kind to be renewed. This is defined in detail in Satisfactory Academic Progress (PDF).

    Merit-based scholarships and grants are usually renewed automatically from every year as long a student's academic performance is up to the expected standards.

    FAFSA Must Be Refiled Annually

    Continuing students receiving or seeking need-based institutional awards and/or state or federally supported financial aid must refile FAFSA every year before the published deadlines for renewal of their New School awards and/or federal or state funding.

    Exception: International undergraduates receiving institutional financial aid in the form of Undergraduate International Scholarships are not required to file for renewal annually.

    Other Sources of Financial Assistance

    • Graduate Assistantships: Graduate assistants are paid as compensation for teaching, laboratory, or other services to an academic or administrative department. If you are seeking an assistantship, notify your academic department. Note: Students who accept an assistantship are required to provide written notification to Student Financial Services as soon as they receive their appointment.
    • External Sources of Financial Aid: There are many private sources of financial aid for qualified students. Go to Resources for links that will help you research external funding sources. Note: Students are required to provide notification of external financial aid to Student Financial Services.