Accelerated Bachelor's-Master's Degree | The New School

Accelerated Bachelor's-Master's Degree

  • Are you ready to earn your undergraduate degree? The Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students at The New School makes it easy for those who want to complete their degree and go on to pursue graduate studies. If you are admitted to the program, you can transfer up to 84 credits. You can study part-time or full-time, on campus in Greenwich Village or online. You can create a path of study tailored to the goals and issues that matter to you. Financial aid and scholarships are available to qualified students.

    Go Further Faster

    The Bachelor's-Master's option enables undergraduate students to earn up to 12 credits towards their BA or BS degree for courses taken in a participating New School graduate program. After completion of your bachelor's degree and upon acceptance to the New School graduate program, the same 12 credits will also count toward the MA or MS degree. The program gives students a strong foundation to pursue graduate studies at another institution, although the credits are probably not transferable to graduate programs outside The New School.

    Getting Approval for Bachelor's-Master's Degree Status

    Continuing students can apply for Bachelor's-Master's status after one full semester and/or 12 credits completed in residence in the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students. At the time of application, the student must have accumulated at least 60 credits towards the bachelor's degree, including transfer credits.

    Students approved for Bachelor's-Master's status can earn up to 12 credits required to complete their bachelor's degree by taking courses in a participating New School graduate program. After graduation, if the student applies to and is accepted to that graduate program, the same 12 credits will also count toward the MA or MS degree, shortening the time and cost of the master's degree program.

    Note, however, that students approved for Bachelor's-Master's status are not guaranteed acceptance to their desired graduate program at The New School. A separate application must be made to the graduate program after completion of the bachelor's degree.

    The maximum of 12 graduate credits applies only to the number of credits that can be applied to the MA or MS degree. There is no limit to the number of graduate credits an undergraduate student can take and apply to the bachelor's degree, assuming the student is ready to do work at the graduate level and the courses are approved by the student's advisor.

    Students interested in the Bachelor's-Master's option must consult with their New School advisor about the nature of graduate work, their qualifications and preparation for it, and the area most appropriate to their educational and career plans. The student's academic history and experience should provide a sufficient basis for believing they would do well in graduate-level courses.

    Be sure to carefully review the catalog of the New School graduate program of interest to you before you apply. Compose a thorough and thoughtful essay explaining the importance of the Bachelor's-Master's option for your education. The essay should demonstrate that you have significant knowledge of the graduate program; that the area of study  makes sense given your interests, preparation, and career plans; and that you have good reasons for taking graduate courses now rather than waiting until your undergraduate degree is completed.

    Application Criteria for Bachelor's-Master's Status

    • Must be pursuing either a BA or BS degree at The New School (there is no combined option for the BFA degree)
    • At least 60 credits completed towards the bachelor's degree, including a significant amount of coursework in the subject area for which the student is applying
    • At least 12 credits completed in residence at The New School
    • A minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average
    • Must have an interest in matriculating in a participating graduate program at The New School. (See the list above; other universities are unlikely to accept these credits toward their graduate program requirements)

    How to Apply

    • Download application. Applications are also available and at the School of Undergraduate Studies office on the 9th floor of 66 West 12th St.
    • An essay of two to three pages that contains the information cited above
    • A writing sample (an academic paper of 10-20 pages, preferably written for a course relevant to the requested graduate program)
    • Applicants to New School for Social Research programs must submit TWO letters of recommendation
    • Optional: You may submit a résumé if you feel it would aid your application

    Note: Please staple or clip the materials together—do not submit binders or folders. Make sure the envelope containing all your materials is clearly marked BA/MA Application. Mail or deliver all materials to:

    Tracyann Williams
    Director of Academic Advising
    The New School for Public Engagement
    School of Undergraduate Studies
    BA/MA Application
    66 West 12th Street, 9th floor
    New York, NY 10011

    Registration for Bachelor's-Master's Students

    If a course is cross-listed, Bachelor's-Master's students must use the graduate CRN number to register for the course.

    Students register for graduate courses with their undergraduate academic advisor along with the rest of their classes. Depending on the program into which the student was accepted, the student may also receive assistance from the graduate program staff: the Media Studies program advisor, the assistant to the director of the International Affairs program, the assistant dean of Milano, or the student advisor of the academic department at The New School for Social Research. However, the graduate program advisors cannot sign the registration forms for Bachelor's-Master's students. The official registration must be done with the student's advisor in the undergraduate program.

    For all graduate courses with limited enrollment, Bachelor's-Master's students must consult first with the designated graduate program advisor for permission to take the course (not, please note, with the department chair or the instructor).

    Note: For New School for Social Research courses, PhD students are always given priority when enrollment is limited.

  • The New School has been regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1960. For more information, visit Accreditation and State Regulatory Authorizations. Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104. 216.284.5000