Fanton Hall/Welcome Center
Ana is an Assistant Professor of Professional Practice in the Environmental Policy and Sustainability Management program where she serves as the Chair of the program. She also serves as the Associate Director for the Tishman Environment & Design Center (TEDC) at The New School.
She was most recently the Director of the Energy and Environment Program at the Regional Plan Association where she oversaw a diverse portfolio of issues ranging from climate change to greenspace preservation across the New York metropolitan region. Prior to RPA, Ana was the Director of Environmental Justice and Community Development programs for the Ironbound Community Corporation for more than seven years. At ICC she oversaw a wide range of environmental justice, community development and community based planning and research projects in her native Ironbound community in Newark, New Jersey.
Ana grew up in the Ironbound where she was part of the environmental justice struggles that later shaped her professional and academic interests. Ana completed her Ph.D. in Urban Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey where she studied state level environmental justice policy implementation across the country. Prior to her doctoral research Ana was a Senior Environmental Planner for the State of Rhode Island’s Department of Environmental Management and she also served as a legislative liaison to Senator John Chafee. She received her Master’s degree from Brown University in Environmental Studies and has an undergraduate degree in Environmental & Evolutionary Biology as well as Environmental Studies from Dartmouth College.
Ana was a 2013 Gustav Heningburg Civic Fellow and a 2005 National Environmental Leadership Fellow. She is the Co-Chair of the Passaic River Superfund Community Advisory Group, a member of the Coalition for Healthy Ports and a steering committee member of the New Jersey Environmental Justice Alliance. She serves on the Board of Trustees for the Ironbound Community Corporation and GAIA.
Phd, Urban Planning and Public Policy,
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
New Brunwsick, NJ
MA, Environmental Studies,
BA, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology,
Tishman Environment & Design Center
Ironbound Community Corporation
New Jersey Environmental Justice Alliance
New Jersey Climate Adaptation Alliance
Coalition for Healthy Ports
Moving Forward Network
Passaic River Superfund Community Advisory Group
New Jersey Health Impact Collaborative
· Chang Ho Yu, Zhi-Hua (Tina) Fan, Paul J. Lioy , Ana Baptista, Molly Greenberg, Robert Laumbach, A Mobile Monitoring Approach to
Characterize Spatial and Temporal Variation in Traffic-Related Air Pollutants in an Urban Community, Atmospheric Environment,Sept 2016
· Baptista, Ana, I. and Amarnath, K. Garbage, Power, and Environmental Justice: The Clean Power Plan Rule. Clean Power Plan and
Environmental Justice White Papers, sponsored by TEDC. New York, April 2016.
· Baptista, Ana, I. Thinking Big on Climate Change, Huffington Post Blog, February 24, 2016
· Baptista, Ana, I., Contreras, J. G. and Hoz, M. Just Transitions: Climate Justice in Action Report. In Collaboration with the Climate Justice
Alliance. New York, January 2016.
· Baptista, Ana. Reflection on Climate Justice in the Aftermath of COP21, Tishman Environment & Design Center Blog, December 14, 2016
· Environmental Justice & Cumulative Impacts Ordinance, An Ordinance Amending The City Of Newark, New Jersey's General Code, July 2016
· Baptista, Ana, I. Climate Action Week @The New School Report, Climate Series Report, January 2015
Goods Movement and Port Related Emissions
· How the NY/NJ Port Authority Misspent Millions in Federal Money Meant to Cut Air Pollution, ProPublica, Joaquin Sapien, May 23, 2016
· Ironbound Residents Want Truck Emissions Reduced, NJTV, Michael Hill, May 6, 2016
· Hell on Wheels: Port Authority's Broken Promise Is Choking Newark's Kids, The Village Voice, Max Rivlin-Nadler, May 3, 2016
· Why Did Port Authority Scale Back Its Truck Emissions Program? WNYC, May 3, 2016
· Zero Emissions Now, Moving Forward Network, Film prepared for MFN Campaign, June 2015
· Building Bridges, PBS, Need To Know, Television Program, January 2013
Passaic River Superfund
· Why Newark Bay, Justice And The People's Health Hinge On The Exxon Deal, Afrobeat Radio on WBAI Pacific Radio Station, May 5, 2015
· On Newark Bay, Justice and Health Hinge on Exxon Deal, Bob Hennelly, City Limits, April 30, 2015
· Passaic River is Finally Getting a Cleanup - Partially, Rebeca Ibarra, WNYC, March 4, 2016
· Feds pursuing polluters for $1.38B Passaic River cleanup. Scott Fallon, Bergen Record, March 4, 2016
· EPA: Polluters will pay for $1.4B Passaic River cleanup Laura Herzog, Star Ledger, March 4, 2016
Contaminated Sites and Air Pollution
· Dirty Little Secrets: New Jersey’s Poorest Live Surrounded by Contamination, By Sarah Gonzalez, WNYC, December 9, 2015
· Children of Color Are the Most At-Risk Victims of Pollution, Huffington Post, Marcia Yerman, October 28, 2014
Zero Waste and Anti-Incineration Advocacy
· 2015 SXSW ECO, Social Justice Hub, SxSW Eco Conference Video, Austin, TX, October 6, 2015
· To Meet Waste Goals, NYC Needs to Scrap How it Thinks About Garbage, Cole Rosengren, City Limits, May 22, 2015
Climate Change & Climate Justice
· Design Contest Leaders Seek Disaster-Minded Urban Planners, David Giambusso, Capital New York, February 22, 2016
· For the love of God, Climate Change, Care for Our Common Home, The Green Radio Hour, July 2015
· New Jersey and Climate Change: Impacts and Responses, New Jersey Climate Adaptation Alliance, Rutgers Climate Institute, June 2015
· The New School Speaks Out on Climate Change, MSNBC, September 2014
Environmental and climate justice, the global goods movement industry, community based participatory research and urban planning, cumulative impacts, Superfund and brownfields issues, zero waste and anti-incineration as well as air pollution monitoring and permitting.
Sister Carol Johnston Service Award, Ironbound Community Corporation, October 2016
US EPA, Citizen's Excellence in Community Involvement Award, Passaic River Superfund Community Advisory Group, May 2015
National Award for Smart Growth Achievement, US EPA, Plazas, Parks and Public Spaces: Newark Riverfront Park, April 2015
Advanced Seminar EPSM