PART OF PARSONS FESTIVAL 2012: “Strategizing Design II: Transformation” follows on the heels on an extremely successful inaugural event in 2011, Strategizing Design, as part of the annual Parsons Festival. This year’s event interrogates some of the themes in the School of Design Strategies, a unique and experimental educational environment at The New School.
If the provocative question is, “What can design strategies do?”, then one powerful answer is, “transformation.” A distinguished interdisciplinary panel of presenters will investigate, provoke, and propose within this broadly-defined theme. Presenters include:
• The Venerable Tenzin Priyadarshi, Director of the Center for Ethics and Transformative Values at the Massashusetts Institute of Technology and a Buddhist monk ordained by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
• Vida Vanchan, Assistant Professor of Geography at SUNY Buffalo and author of "Competitive Characteristics of U.S. Industrial Design Firms"
• Rachel Rosenfelt, Co-Founder and Editor in Chief, The New Inquiry, an electronic journal of literary and cultural criticism
• Damian White, Assistant Professor of Sociology at the Rhode Island School of Design and co-author of the essay, “Anarchism, Libertarianism and Environmentalism: Anti-Authoritarian Thought and the Search for Self-Organizing Societies”
• Cameron Tonkinwise, Associate Dean for Sustainability at Parsons
• Cynthia Lawson, Assistant Professor of Integrated Design and a founding member of Occupy University
• Carlos Texeira, Director of Academic Affairs of the School of Design Strategies and Associate Professor of Design and Management
• Aseem Inam, Director of the Theories of Urban Practice Program and Associate Professor of Urbanism at Parsons
Please join us for an evening of provocative presentations, stimulating discussions, and good food and drinks! The event is sponsored by the new MA Theories of Urban Practice Program and hosted by the School of Design Strategies.