The third international Diaspora, Globalization, and Design conference will consider how artists, designers, and practitioners in a myriad of design disciplines are engaging and responding to the tensions and opportunities brought about by globalization and cross-cultural exchanges and how such changes are being preserved as a study of cultures around the world.Visit our eventbrite page
to view more information about topics and speakers and to register.
This conference will examine, document, and preserve the influence of diaspora (or immigration) and diaspora culture on design due to globalization. It builds upon two prior conferences that explored the relationship between culture, especially power, privilege, wealth, identity and values, and design (especially fashion). This third conference expands the scope of this discussion to other design disciplines and also serves to further our long-term goal of developing a virtual diaspora museum. Major topic areas will include the following:
- Influence of diaspora/immigration on design cultures (local and/or global)
- Diaspora Design and (Institutionalized) Identity, Diaspora Identity in a Homogenized/Hybrid world
- Interactions between diaspora designers and global markets
- Historical (Generational) perspectives in diaspora design and culture
- Designing a Virtual Diaspora Museum