Due to continuing power outages in Lower Manhattan, The New School will remain closed until Monday, November 5, therefore this event has been cancelled. Please check the events calendar should this be rescheduled.
In its 4th US edition, the Pictoplasma Conference originating from Berlin returns to New York to present a marathon of inspiring lectures, talks and panel discussions by some of the most outstanding artists, illustrators and designers pushing the edge of contemporary character visualization. The event offers the unique chance to learn from (and rub shoulders with) artists such as:
- Gemma Correll, introducing her appealing zoo of doodled cats and hand drawn pugs (not drugs!)
- Mark Gmehling, indisputable master of contortionist 3D illustration and oversized murals
- Julia Pott, responsible for some of the most beautiful illustration and animation depicting self-consciousness and awkward social constellations
- Ryan Quincy, former Animation Director of South Park and father to a vast, hairy family of ever expanding critters
- Andy Rementer, illustrator extraordinaire famed for his dead-pan humor and dude-style 70s comic imagery
- Anna Hrachovec,craft artist who takes knitting to a place where no needle has gone before
- Adrian Sonni, Argentinean creator of colorful cuteness with a dark twist
- Jason Freeny, whose anatomical exploration of character toys uses reverse forensics to bring life to our childhood friends through eye popping illustrations and meticulously crafted sculptures.
- David OReilly, whizz-kid animation director, uber-talent film maker and FREE FACTS twitter phenomena
- Buff Monster graphic artist , with an infinite output of his pink characters as paintings, graffiti or sculptures.
Set as the perfect prelude to New York’s Illustration Week, the Pictoplasma Conference invites a diverse audience of graphic designers, illustrators, animation filmmakers and producers, fine and urban artists and character connoisseurs of all shades to gather under one roof and dive deep into the world of character-related art and design. The presentations are accompanied by feature-length Characters in Motion screenings, showcasing a selected mix of new and outstanding character-driven animation, motion graphics, music videos and shorts.
The event’s unique mix delivers tons of inspiration, while the lively exchange between the various disciplines highlights the importance of contemporary characters in today’s global visual understanding.
For more information, full bios, and to REGISTER, visit here: http://nyc.pictoplasma.com.
Friday, November 2:
3:00-4:00 p.m.-Attendee registration
4:00-6:00 p.m.-Welcome address, lectures by Buff Monster, Mark Gmehling
7:00-9:00 p.m.-Lectures by Anna Hrachovec, Adrian Sonni, Jason Freeny
9:30-11:00 p.m.- Screening - Characters in Motion 1
Saturday, November 3:
12:00-1:00 p.m.- Pecha Kucha / Breakfast Pitch
1:00-3:00p.m.- Lectures by David O'Reilly and Gemma Correll
4:00-5:00 p.m.-Lecture by Andy Rementer
5:00-6:00 p.m.- Panel with Olimpia Zagnoli, Mark Newgarden, Taylor McKimens, hosted by Steven Guarnaccia
7:00-9:00p.m. - Lectures by Ryan Quincy and Julia Pott
9:30-11:00 p.m.- Screening - Characters in Motion 2