Parsons Paris

Parsons Paris.





Other Common Questions


How many students attend Parsons?
Parsons currently enrolls nearly 5,500 undergraduate and graduate students. An additional 2,000 students each year take single courses or study for certificates in Parsons' Continuing Education program, and more than 2,000 children and young people attend weekend and summer pre-college programs each year. The average class size for all programs is 15.

How many faculty members teach at Parsons?
Parsons has more than 150 full-time and 1,250 part-time faculty members. Most Parsons teachers are working New York artists and designers, offering students a unique educational perspective.

Is Parsons an accredited college?
The New School has been regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1960. All degree programs at the New York City campus of The New School are registered by the New York State Department of Education. Parsons Paris is a registered branch campus of The New School and is accredited by the MSCHE and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. In addition, Parsons Paris has the authorization of the French Ministry of Education to operate in France. 

The appropriate professional education agency or board accredits professional curricula at The New School. Accrediting agencies of individual programs are listed below.

  • Parsons School of Design has been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) since 1966.
  • The Bachelor of Business Administration in Design and Management meets NASAD standards for the Bachelor of Arts. It is registered as a Bachelor of Business Administration through the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
  • The master's program in Architecture has been accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) since 1994. 

What percentage of students graduate from Parsons?
Although it varies from year to year, on average 90 percent of Parsons freshmen complete their studies and receive a degree within six years.

Do many students at Parsons come from other countries?
Approximately 40 percent of the student body at Parsons is international. The countries most heavily represented are China, India, South Korea, Canada, and Brazil.

What is a typical student workload?
The degree programs at Parsons are academically challenging. On average, bachelor's and master's students register for 15 credits, or five classes, per semester. For most students this means 20 to 30 hours per week and an equal amount of time outside class in preparation, research, reading, writing, and production. Students are expected to attend regularly and participate actively in all courses. Students attending associate's (AAS) programs full-time can anticipate an equally rigorous and demanding schedule. 

What are my first-year options?
With a few exceptions, BBA and BFA students entering Parsons as freshmen share a common first-year curriculum. These required courses prepare you for the various study paths you may pursue at Parsons and The New School. 

The first-year curriculum is carefully structured to deliver the fundamental tools and skills essential to art and design thinking and making but is designed to accommodate a wide range of students. The program is built to prepare students for broad exploration across disciplines or a deep focus in a particular area. Students can design an individualized first-year study path through the selection of different course options. An assigned academic advisor guides each student in considering short- and long-term study options and registers each student for first-year classes. 

Can I double-major at Parsons?
The work of each major is demanding; students therefore generally pursue only one major full-time at Parsons. Students interested in a secondary area of study outside their major may pursue a minor, of which there are nearly 50 options university-wide in both liberal arts and studio areas. Students interested in a combining a complete liberal arts education with a design major can apply to the BA/BFA program, a five-year dual-degree program offered jointly by Parsons and Eugene Lang College.

Can I change majors?
A student who wishes to change majors must complete an official internal transfer process, as outlined in the Parsons Catalog. While every attempt is made to accommodate timely declarations, certain faculty, space, and safety considerations may constrain the size of some programs. For those programs, a competitive review will be undertaken. 

The internal transfer process is designed to ensure that the student is fully informed about the implications of the change. After gathering information about the intended program, students submit the declaration request form, a brief statement of intent, a link to their Learning Portfolio, and an unofficial transcript. Faculty and designated staff will review submissions. 

What internship opportunities does Parsons offer?
Many undergraduate programs allow for professional internship as part of their curriculum. Internships are obtained independently or through The New School's Career Services. Parsons students have recently interned at Marc Jacobs, Polo-Ralph Lauren, HBO, MTV, the New York Times, Rolling Stone magazine, Marvel Comics, and The Museum of Modern Art, to name a few of many companies and institutions.

Can I take classes outside my major at Parsons?
Parsons students are encouraged to broaden their experience by pursuing studies outside their major requirements. Both liberal arts and program-supportive electives are built into every curriculum at Parsons. A range of electives are available in every Parsons program, and Parsons students have the choice of many courses offered by Eugene Lang College and the other undergraduate colleges of The New School.

What is a typical academic year schedule?
The academic calendar is divided into fall and spring semesters. The fall semester typically runs from late August through mid-December. There is a break in late December, and students return for the spring semester in mid-January. The spring semester begins the third week of January and runs through mid-May, with a week's break in March. Visit the Academic Calendar for specific dates.

Is it possible to study abroad?
Parsons offers study abroad opportunities for all majors. These can include Parsons Paris or study at one of our exchange partners or through other approved programs. Detailed information on study abroad policies for your major can be found on the study abroad website. 

Will I get a well-rounded liberal arts education at Parsons?
All undergraduate programs include a strong liberal arts component, including courses in art and design, history, theory, and criticism. These courses provide a context for your studies. And because Parsons is part of a larger university with a tradition of cross-disciplinary inquiry, students can choose from a wide range of lecture courses and electives in humanities, social sciences, media studies, and business. 

Will I have an advisor to help me select courses?
Students are assigned an academic advisor after submitting a tuition deposit to Parsons. Academic advisors provide information to help students navigate university systems and all campus support services. They are available to answer your questions about academic policies, programs, transfer credits, degree requirements, course selection, and registration procedures. They are available by appointment or during posted walk-in hours.  

How do I register for courses?
Incoming students register for courses with the help of their academic advisor. After submitting the tuition deposit, new students receive an email from the Advising Office with instructions for setting up an advising appointment. After reviewing options for fulfilling degree requirements and looking at course descriptions, students register online for classes through MyNewSchool

Are AP or IB courses accepted for credit?
Yes, transfer credit can be awarded for AP and IB exams, depending on the exams taken. Credit can be awarded toward English, Art History, and Liberal Arts elective requirements.

Students can transfer 3 credits for each AP exam with scores of 4 or 5.

Students who attended schools outside the United States can receive appropriate transfer credit for academic credentials such as the International Baccalaureate (IB), taken at the higher level only with a score of 5 or above; A-Level exams, taken at the GCE level only with a grade of A, B, or C; the French Baccalaureate; and the German Abitur. Transfer credits awarded vary depending on which exams were taken.


How is an admission decision made, and who makes it?
All undergraduate applications are reviewed by the Admission Committee, which includes Parsons' Office of Admission and faculty members. All graduate applications are reviewed by the graduate departments.

How can I schedule a tour and meet with an admission counselor?
Please see Admission Events for available times for tours and the schedule for information sessions.

You can also contact the Office of Admission with your questions: call 212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040 or email

What should be in my portfolio? How should my portfolio be formatted?
There is no standard format for portfolios as most students have worked in more than one medium. In any case, portfolio requirements vary according to degree program. Please visit the application instruction page for your intended program to determine specific portfolio requirements.

What is the deadline for submitting my application materials?
Deadlines vary from program to program. See Undergraduate Deadlines for information about bachelor's program deadlines. All others should review deadline information specific to their intended program under Apply.

Is an admission interview required?
Interviews are not required. Please review the calendar for dates and times when interviews may be scheduled. You are encouraged to attend an Information Session to get a sense of whether Parsons is right for you before scheduling an interview.

How can I check to see whether my transcripts and other application materials have been received?
You can check the status of your application credentials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, etc.) online.

English is not my native language. Do I have to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE?
If you are an international student and English is not your native language, you must provide evidence of English language proficiency. You should submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score with your application materials. Minimum TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE scores required for admission vary and are described in the application instructions for each program.

As an alternative, applicants have the option of enrolling in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses offered at The New School. Students who pass New School ESL courses at the level required by their prospective program can waive the TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE. For more information about New School English courses, visit the ESL website.

Can I defer my entry once I've been accepted by Parsons?
Students accepted to the bachelor's and associate's programs can defer entry for up to one year by paying the $500 tuition deposit. Accepted students who would like to enroll at Parsons in a higher status than that at which they were first admitted must reapply ; they cannot negotiate a higher status by deferring entry. Students who cannot begin classes at Parsons within one year from the semester for which they were admitted, must reapply.

Is part-time enrollment possible?
Part-time study is possible for students enrolled in associate's programs but not for students in bachelor's programs. If you are interested in taking individual courses at Parsons, please go to Continuing Education.


What is the cost of attending Parsons?
For up-to-date information on tuition and fees, visit Tuition and Fees. The cost of living in New York City, as well as books and other supplies must also be factored into your total expenses. A financial aid advisor can help you estimate the annual cost of your education.

How much will my art supplies typically cost?
Students are required to buy most of their own art materials. The cost of art supplies for courses can vary greatly. Typical costs are estimated to range from $920 to $2,050 a year depending on your program of study.

Is financial aid available?
Yes. If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at The New School/Parsons school code is 002780. Students who file the FAFSA are automatically considered for all New School and Parsons scholarships as well as federal and state government financial assistance. Scholarships are granted based on the merit of the student's application materials. If you are an international undergraduate student, you should download and return the International Student Scholarship Application found on the Student Financial Services website by the deadline stated on the application form.

Visit New School Financial Aid for more information about financial aid opportunities. U.S. citizens and permanent residents can also apply for private student loans. International students can apply to U.S. banks for student loans if they have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer. On the Financial Aid site, select "Alternative/Private Student Loans" for a list of lenders and contact information.

For answers to all your questions, contact the Financial Aid office at 212.229.8930 or

Other Common Questions

Where can I get information about student housing?
The New School maintains a number of residence halls within walking distance or a short subway ride from Parsons' Greenwich Village location. Visit Student Housing, call 212.229.5459, or email for more information.

Where can I get information about student health services and insurance?
Visit Student Health Services. All students are required to have health insurance and reasonably affordable insurance is offered by the university for those not otherwise insured.

I am an international student. I have questions about visa requirements. Can I talk with someone?
Visit International Student Services for basic information. Contact the International Student Services office at 212.229.5592 or

I scored well on the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE. Do I have to take the English placement test?
All new students who are not native English speakers must take the English course placement test before they begin classes, regardless of fluency, previous English coursework, degrees/diplomas from U.S. institutions, TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score, or SAT score. If English is not your first language, you must take the test. There are no exceptions. The test is administered before every semester during Orientation Week. Your scores will determine whether you will be required to take English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at The New School and whether any English course transfer credits can be applied to meet Parsons' first-year writing course requirement. The test is composed of the following sections: listening comprehension (recorded speech followed by multiple-choice questions), grammar questions (multiple choice), reading comprehension questions (multiple choice), one 30-minute essay (choice of two topics), and a brief oral interview.

Are computers available to students on campus?
Students have access to Mac and PC computer stations located in many New School facilities. Building hours vary, but buildings are generally open from 8:00 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. throughout the academic term and even later during exam and final presentation periods. Nevertheless, you should consider purchasing a computer if you aren't bringing one with you. Substantial discounts are available through The New School, so consider deferring your purchase until you arrive on campus. Then, buy the computer best suited to the kind of work you expect to be doing.