The Admission Committee will make a decision on your application only after all the required materials have been received.
You can download these instructions.
- Application Form: Complete the online application.
- Application Fee: Pay the $50 nonrefundable application fee online by credit card.
- Official Transcripts
All applicants must provide official high school and/or college transcripts. If you are currently in school, submit transcripts for all coursework taken to date. Applicants who have attended multiple high schools may submit only the graduating school’s official transcript as long as courses taken at previous schools are reflected on that transcript.
Transfer Applicants: Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 24 college credits (on a semester system) must submit high school transcript(s) in addition to college transcripts. Students who have completed any college coursework must apply as transfer students, regardless of whether they plan to apply those credits to their studies at Parsons. Fashion Marketing and Graphic Design applicants who plan to complete their degree entirely online must already have an undergraduate degree or sufficient undergraduate credits to fulfill the AAS degree requirement of 21 credits in humanities, including 6 credits in English.
By Mail: Official transcripts should have an original signature or a raised university seal, and must be in a sealed envelope that has been signed or stamped by the issuing university’s registrar or records office. Applicants can either send official transcripts with an Application Materials Cover Sheet or request that institutions send transcripts directly to The New School. See “Mailing Address for Supplemental Materials” for our mailing address.
Electronic Transcripts (U.S./Domestic Institutions Only): The New School accepts electronic transcripts only from our approved vendors. The New School’s approved vendors in order of preference are
We do not accept electronic transcripts sent directly by a student or school offices. Note: All international academic credentials must be submitted as indicated in the International Academic Credentials sections below.
- Parchment Exchange
- Naviance by Hobsons
- SCRIP-SAFE International
- National Student Clearinghouse
High School Equivalency: For GED, TASC, and HiSET, send official test score results by postal mail.
International Academic Credentials: All transcripts not written in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
International Academic Credentials with Transfer Credits: Applicants who attended post secondary institutions outside of the U.S. are required to have their transcript(s) evaluated by World Education Services (WES), our preferred provider, or by another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). A course-by-course evaluation must be prepared for each transcript. In the absence of an evaluation, the Admissions Committee will do their best to render a decision. Please note, in some cases a review cannot be made without an evaluation and a committee decision will be delayed.
If using WES, visit www.wes.org for instructions and to begin the application process. The "Required Documents" section will explain what to send. If you request your report online, search for "New School Parsons" when selecting our institution. WES will send your completed evaluation directly to The New School.
If using another NACES provider, follow instructions for that provider. Mailed evaluations and translations should be sent to the mailing address provided for supporting materials. Applicants forwarding these sealed documents should include an Application Materials Cover Sheet.
- TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Results: All applicants whose first language is not English must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores.
TOEFL Institution Code: 2638
TOEFL Minimum Score requirement: 79 Internet-based
TOEFL Minimum Score Requirement for Fashion Marketing Online and Graphic Design Online Applicants: 92 Internet-based
IELTS Minimum Score requirement: 6.5
PTE Minimum Score requirement: 53
The TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned a 4-year degree from a U.S. College or University, or for citizens of the following countries whose native language is also English: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, or Common Wealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago).
Arrange for the testing service to send your test scores directly to The New School using the institution codes listed above. We accept scores for tests taken within the past two years. If your scores are older, you must retake the test. For more information, visit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
Applicants also have the option of enrolling in The New School English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Students must pass Level 5 to waive the TOEFL requirement. Visit the ESL website for more information.
- Statement of Intent: Upload a one-page Statement of Intent describing the events and ideas that led to your interest in this major. Please note that this must be included when you submit your online application.
- Creative Assignment: Please complete the assignment for the program to which you are applying (described below). The Creative Assignment is required as an essential advising tool.
- Résumé (optional): A brief résumé (CV) listing education, relevant work experience, travel, etc., including dates and positions held, must be submitted online.
Creative Assignment Instructions
It is strongly recommended that you submit the creative assignment with your online application. If work must be mailed, original artwork larger than 8.5” x 11” will not be accepted. You may also submit your work on a cross-platform CD-ROM or DVD. Save each of your images as a JPEG no larger than 2MB. Clearly label the CD or DVD with your name and date of birth, and attach the Application Materials Cover Sheet (PDF).
Fashion Design: Create a collage that defines the lifestyle of the kind of woman or man for whom you would like to design. Use images taken from magazines, and pay attention to color, textures, and other basic elements.
Fashion Marketing: Write a one-page analysis of a fashion marketing campaign you feel has been successful.
Graphic Design: Design a postage stamp depicting your favorite fruit or vegetable. Submit an 8"x8" solution.
Interior Design: Present a collage of images illustrating your ideas for the design of a small advertising agency office in an urban townhouse. Your collage should include details (descriptions, images, or both) of the kinds of furniture, the colors, and the materials you would use to execute your ideas.
- Applicants must have graduated from high school at least two years prior to be eligible to apply.
- Submitted Materials: All materials submitted to the Office of Admission become the property of Parsons.
- Accepted Applications: When notified of acceptance, applicants will receive complete instructions for additional procedures regarding financial aid, housing, tuition and fees, I-20 visas (for nonresidents of the United States), and other matters. The decision to admit applicants is always contingent upon their successful completion of any current studies and the receipt of their final transcripts. All accepted students are must have their official final transcripts on file before they begin classes.
- Interviews: Personal interviews are not required. Prospective students who have questions about Parsons or the admission process are encouraged to attend an information session. Review the Admission Calendar for dates and times.