Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does AP issue checks for all reimbursements?
Employee reimbursement requests below $50.00 should be submitted
in person (with photo ID) to the petty cash window near the
cashier's office, located at 65 Fifth Ave., ground floor. All
reimbursement requests for employees must be submitted on our Employee Advance and Reconciliation Form (pdf)
2. Will AP reimburse me for all of my business expenses?
Employees will only be reimbursed for legitimate business expenses
after obtaining the appropriate authorized approvals.
b. At no time will employees be reimbursed for non-university expenses.
c. Taxes will not be reimbursed on expense forms for any individual item
that exceeds $100.00. These items should be purchased using
university-approved methods such as the Purchase Order System
or the Purchasing Card Solution.
3. What if I have submitted an approved invoice to Accounts Payable and the vendor claims that they have not received the check?
Check your budget in Banner to see if the invoice was processed
in Accounts Payable. If it has been processed, allow five business days from the posting date or check to be sent out. If it is not posted, or the five-day period has elapsed, please contact the appropriate Accounts Payable Associate with all pertinent information such as vendor/payee name, invoice number, dollar amount, contact person, and phone number.
4. Do Accounts Payable Staff handle payroll checks or Student Stipend checks?
No. Payroll issues both payroll and student stipend checks.
5. What do I do if I submitted an invoice with the wrong FOAP numbers?
Check the Banner system to see if the invoice has been processed
as submitted. If it was put through the system and the transaction
date on the General Ledger is more than four days old you must process a re-class [Excel]. If it is less than four days old, go to step b.
b. If the invoice in question has been submitted to Accounts Payable,
but not paid, contact the appropriate Accounts Payable Associate
so that the coding can be corrected prior to a check being issued.
6. Where can I pick up the Request for Independent Services Form?
This triplicate form can be obtained in the mail room at 55
West 13th Street.
7. Can Accounts Payable make ACH or Wire transfer payments?
Yes. Accounts Payable can make these types of payments, however,
the cost of international wires will be billed back to the
8. Does Accounts Payable handle hotel reservations and car rental?
No. Please consult the university travel website.
9. Does Accounts Payable Purchase Office Supplies?
No. Office supply procurement is handled by Purchasing.
10. My Department wants to hire an Independent Contractor to perform services for the university. Can the department hire the contractor and submit
and invoice upon completion of the work?
No. The IRS views all persons providing services to a company as employees
unless proven otherwise. Incorrectly classifying persons as
Independent Contractors is a liability for the university.
As a result, an individual's status as an "Independent Contractor"
must be approved by the Office of Accounts Payable prior to
the start of work. The determination will be based on the
objective facts in each case. >> Worker Status Questionnaire Process
If however, the person is performing one of the predefined services,
as listed on the Request for Independent Services Form, (Guest Lecturer, Substitute
Teacher, Panelist, Performer, Critic, Judge), no Accounts
Payable pre-authorization is required.
Additionally, licensed individuals providing medical,
legal, or architectural services to the university do not need pre-approval by Accounts Payable for Independent Contractor status.