The newcard, The New School's official identification card, gives you access to university buildings and services at various campus facilities, including academic technology labs and libraries. You should also present your newcard when you attend events on campus. If you participate in the Dining Dollars or newcardcash programs, your newcard can be used as a debit card at campus dining facilities and certain off-campus merchants. You can also use your newcard to receive discounts listed in the student handbook and ones offered by many other businesses and venues.

Newly Accepted Students and Transfer Students

Students attending The New School for the first time should submit a passport-style photo to serve as their ID picture before arriving on campus. Most brightly lit photos with a pale background are acceptable. Submit a photo and avoid waiting in line—your card will be pre-printed and ready for pickup during your orientation.

Submit your ID photo now.

For summer programs starting between May 23 and June 22, the final submission deadline is May 16.
For summer programs starting between June 23 and  July 22, the final submission deadline is June 16.
For summer programs starting after July 22, the final submission deadline is July 16.
For the 2014 fall semester, the final submission deadline is August 9.

You can pick up your pre-printed newcard during your assigned orientation period or at any time once classes have begun. You cannot pick up your newcard before your orientation. You must present a government-issued photo ID (such as a passport or driver's license) in order to claim your newcard.  

If you miss the deadline, you must have your photo taken and your ID printed at Campus Card Services. Make sure to bring valid identification. There may be long wait times at the start of the semester for students who have missed the deadline.

Continuing education students [+]

Certificate Students
Most certificate students are entitled to the New School's plastic photo ID, the newcard. See instructions above in the "Newly Accepted Students and Transfer Students" section. This card should be kept permanently.

Noncredit Students
Noncredit students who are not in a certificate program or other degree-seeking program will be mailed a nonphoto paper ID card by the Student Accounts department, in the same envelope as their course schedule and receipt. This card is good for one academic semester. You will receive a new paper ID card at the beginning of every semester. If you do not receive this record within two weeks of registering, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at
More information about preparing for Continuing Education classes

New faculty and staff employees [+]

If you are a new member of the university faculty or staff, you must go to Campus Card Services (66 West 12th Street, room 409) to have a photo taken. Your newcard will be printed while you wait. No appointment is necessary. You must show proof of identity in the form of a government-issued photo ID (passport, driver's license, etc.).

Hours and location [+]

The schedule below shows Campus Card Services regular hours of operation. Hours may be extended at the beginning of each semester to accommodate the demand for newcards at that time. Campus Card Services is closed on Fridays during the summer (starting June 13 in 2014).

Day Hours
Monday 9:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Tuesday 9:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Wednesday 9:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Thursday 9:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Our office is located at 66 West 12th Street, room 409.

Can online students and faculty members get newcards? [+]

Students and faculty members taking and teaching courses only online, who cannot visit the New School campus to receive a photo ID, can request a non-photo newcard which they can use to show their affiliation with the The New School and receive the same discounts and benefits as other members of the New School community. To request a non-photo newcard, email and provide the following information:

  • N number
  • Full name
  • Address to which the newcard should be mailed

Note: Campus Card Services staff processes non-photo newcards for students only after they have confirmed that the student is registered and tuition has been paid or arrangements for tuition payment have been made.
Students and faculty members who wish to use New School campus facilities (like academic technology labs and libraries) or who wish to attend certain events on campus must show a photo newcard to obtain entry. You can exchange your non-photo newcard for a photo newcard at any time by visiting Campus Card Services and showing a valid government-issued photo ID, such as a state driver's license, other state photo ID, or passport. After your eligibility has been verified, a picture will be taken and your newcard will be printed. There is no charge for replacing a non-photo newcard with a photo newcard.

How much does a newcard cost? [+]

There is no charge for your first newcard.

If your name or status (student, faculty, staff) has changed, there is no charge for a replacement ID. The old ID must be turned in to our office.

Destroyed or defaced newcards—ones with punched holes, folds, or other avoidable damage—are not valid, and a $25 fee will be charged for a replacement.

What should I do if I lose my newcard? [+]  

You must obtain a replacement card and pay the nonrefundable fee of $25.

You must visit Campus Card Services in person to replace a newcard. No appointment is necessary. Your replacement newcard will be printed and encoded while you wait. The $25 fee must be paid during your visit; credit cards, personal checks, and cash are accepted.

If a lost newcard is turned in to Campus Card Services, an email is sent to the cardholder at his or her New School account. If the cardholder has already received a replacement newcard, the previous card has been permanently deactivated and should be destroyed if found.

If your newcard is lost or stolen and you have deposited money into a newcardcash account, go to immediately and follow the directions at the "Manage Account" link to suspend your card. Failure to suspend a lost card could result in unauthorized use of your account. Once your newcard is suspended, you must go to Campus Card Services to have a replacement card printed. Access to your funds is transferred automatically to your replacement card.

What else do I need to know about my newcard? [+]  

You are expected to carry your newcard at all times while on campus. Your newcard is the property of The New School and remains valid as long as you are a registered student or active employee. Use of the nontransferable newcard is governed by The New School's regulations and, like all university property, it must be surrendered upon request. Your newcard will be confiscated if it is misused. When you graduate or separate from The New School, your newcard will no longer be valid. If you take an approved leave of absence from The New School, your newcard will automatically reactivate when you return and register for courses.

Connect with the New School