Academic Regulations

Matriculated Students

Matriculated Students are students accepted by the Admissions Committee and enrolled in one of the full-time College Division degree or diploma programs (BM, BS, UDPL, MM, PDPL). It is not possible to pursue a degree or diploma on a part-time basis. The courses of study for these programs are presented in the section entitled "Academic Requirements and Curricula."

Conditional Students

At the discretion of the Admissions Committee, an applicant who barely meets the entrance requirements of the college (including English language) may be allowed to take one year of a college program. Probationary students will be allowed to continue only if they meet the professional standards of the school at the end of the first semester of study and may be dismissed midyear. A second conditional year is not permitted.

Registration Advisement

Each student's program is designed under the supervision of the assistant dean to ensure regular progress toward completion of the degree or diploma. Students meet privately with a registration advisor twice a year to review past work and choose future courses. Changes in schedule are also handled by registration advisors at the beginning of each semester during the posted Add-Drop period. It is the student's responsibility to meet with advisors during the scheduled registration periods; late registration will result in additional charges. The college reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment or because of circumstances beyond its control.


With the exception of the major field of study, examinations are given in all subjects at the end of each semester. Examinations (juries) in the major concentration are held once a year, at which time each student’s work is critically evaluated.

Students are required to be present at all regularly scheduled examinations during the year. Unexcused absence from any final semester examination will result in an automatic grade of F recorded for that course.

Students in Fundamentals courses must successfully complete the course during their first year in order to remain in the College.

Grading System

Most undergraduate and many graduate courses at Mannes are organized on a yearly basis rather than on a semester basis. However, grades are given in each subject at mid-year and these grades are recorded on the student's transcript. Students receiving an F in any course at mid-year are disqualified from continuing in that course. The grade of "D" in an undergraduate or "C-" in graduate classes given at mid-year indicates unsatisfactory, but not failing, work. Students continuing for the second semester must demonstrate significant improvement in order to pass the course.

A grade of "Incomplete" is given only by submission of a written request by the student in consultation with the faculty and approved by the director of Academic Advisement. The work must be completed in the approved period of time. Undergraduate students must complete the outstanding course requirements within four weeks from the last class or receive a permanent grade of WF. Graduate students must complete the outstanding course requirements within one year or receive a permanent grade of WF.

The grade of "Pass/Satisfactory" may be given only for specific courses that are established with this grade mode. A student must register for this grade mode during the Add/Drop period.

GradeGrade Point

A-Very High Quality3.7
B+High Quality3.3
BVery Good3.0
C+Above Average2.3
C-Below Average1.7
WFWithdrew Failure0.0
WWithdrew before eighth week of class

The grade of D is available for undergraduate courses only; the lowest passing grade for graduates is C-. A grade of B- or lower in the major field of study and in certain performance classes is considered unsatisfactory and may result in action by the Academic Standing Committee. Students who fail a required Fundamentals class are subject to dismissal.

Performance Requirements

A graduation recital in the final year of study is required for master's students and recommended for students in the undergraduate and Professional Studies programs. Students also perform in major ensembles (orchestra, chorus, opera) on several occasions throughout the year. Other requirements vary with the concentration.

Chamber Music and Ensemble

Degree students concentrating in orchestral instruments and some other instruments are assigned to chamber music groups each year. These groups are arranged by the administration and result in at least one public performance each semester. Students may submit requests for groups to the coordinator of Instrumental Studies, who makes the determination of personnel for specific ensembles. Additional information about the chamber music program is mailed out each summer to all new and continuing students.

Change of Major Teacher

A student may petition the associate dean for a change of major teacher. No change will be implemented during the course of a semester, and the decision is at the associate dean's discretion. Students may change major teachers only once during their course of study for each degree or diploma.

Attendance Policies

The college observes professional standards of attendance for all its performance activities and concerts. Absences that have not been approved in advance by the instructor are considered unexcused and are not permitted. Students who violate this rule are subject to immediate academic action, including failure of the course, probation, or dismissal.

The college also requires regular and punctual attendance at all classes, lessons, and rehearsals. Students should inform themselves of the specific attendance policies outlined by instructors at the beginning of each term. Excessive absences may result in lowered grades, failure, or dismissal from a course at the discretion of the instructor in consultation with the assistant dean.

Students must report absences owing to illness daily to the college switchboard operator, who will leave brief messages for the appropriate teachers. Students seeking the opportunity to make up missed work must also submit suitable medical documentation to the assistant dean upon their return.

Short-Term Leave

Students are required to be in residence at the college when classes are in session, including especially the final week of classes and exams in each semester. No student may take a leave of absence from the college for professional or personal reasons unless he or she receives permission in advance from the administration. Leaves will be considered for students in excellent academic standing and for a period of time not to exceed two weeks per year. Formal requests must be made to the assistant dean well in advance of the departure date. Students in large performing ensembles (e.g., orchestra and opera) should also make sure that their requested absences conform to the regular participation and attendance policies for those groups.

Leave of Absence

Students in good standing may request an official leave of absence for one or two semesters from the associate dean. Students with approved leaves may resume their full-time studies without reauditioning or retesting, provided that they inform the associate dean in writing of their intention to return by the agreed-upon deadline. Leaves granted for medical reasons require appropriate documentation both for exit and for readmittance. A student who withdraws without an official leave or absence, or who fails to reregister within the term of an official leave, must file a new application and be reexamined in the regular manner.


If a student decides not to continue at Mannes College, he or she must complete an official Exit Form and have an exit interview with the associate dean prior to May 1 of each year. The form and interview ensure proper tracking of the student's record.

Information about refunds in case of leave of absence or withdrawal is provided in the section on "Tuition, Fees, and Registration."

Academic Standing


All matriculated students must earn a mininum term GPA and cumulative GPA to remain in good academic standing: 2.0 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students. Students with less than the mininum term GPA and cumulative GPA will be placed on academic probation. Students who earn less than the minimum term GPA or cumulative GPA for two consecutive semesters will be dismissed. Any undergraduate earning less than a 1.0 term GPA will be dismissed.

Graduate students who do not complete one half of accumulated attempted credits after two consecutive semesters in their program will be subject to probation and will not necessarily be allowed to register for more course and/or equivalency credits in the following semester. Students are additionally responsible for meeting department/program academic requirements in order to remain in good academic standing within their program.

Mannes Students

Undergraduate and graduate students who meet the corresponding requirements above and make regular progress toward degree completion are considered to be in good academic standing. Those who do not are subect to disciplinary action by the Academic Standing Committee, a committee of administrators and faculty chaired by the assistant dean that meets each semester to review student progress. Any student who earns the grade of B- or lower in a required course, especially in a course in the student's major area, is subject to review by the Academic Standing Committee. Disciplinary actions imposed by the committee include academic warning, probation, and dismissal. An undergraduate student who fails a remedial Techniques of Music course may also be dismissed.

Academic Warning

The academic warning is a disciplinary action implemented at the discretion of the Academic Standing Committee. The student is warned in writing that lack of improvement or additional poor grades will result in further action by the committee, including probation or dismissal.


A student is placed on probation by decision of the Academic Standing Committee for failure to achieve an adequate academic record and/or for unsatisfactory progress in the student's major concentration. Probationary status constitutes a warning to the student that he or she will be dismissed from the college if the quality or work is not improved. Furthermore, the student's scholarship status will be reviewed if he or she is placed on probation. Students may not remain on probation for a period longer than two consecutive semesters. Generally probation means a loss of eligibilty for merit scholarships.


A student may be dismissed by action of the Academic Standing Committee for poor academic performance, unsatisfactory progress in the major, or infractions of discipline. Students who wish to appeal the decision must put their request in writing to the associate dean within 30 days of notification of the dismissal. The request will be forwarded to the Appeals Committee. Students who have been dismissed and who wish to return to the college must wait one academic year, or 12 calendar months, whichever is greater, and reapply through the normal admissions process. If reaccepted, the student will be on probation for the first academic year of reinstatement.

The Student Right-to-Know Act

The New School makes available to all students and prospective students informatio n about the persistence of undergraduate students in pursuing their degree programs, as required by the Student Right-to-Know Act. During the 2006–07 academic year The New School will provide the "persistence rate" of the freshman class of fall 2003 (i.e., the percentage of all first time freshmen studying full-time in fall 2003 who were continuing to study full-time in their degree programs in fall 2004). This information may be requested at any time between July 1, 2006, and June 30, 2007, from the Offices of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended in 1995 and 1996, with which The New School complies, was enacted to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for correction of inaccurate or misleading statements. For more information, see FERPA on the university website.

Refund Schedule and Policies

In the event of early withdrawal, a percentage of tuition will be refunded (see University Refund Schedule). Refunds will be granted only after the official withdrawal procedure has been completed or the university determines you are no longer enrolled. Refund processing takes approzimately four weeks.

University Refund Schedule—Degree Students

Courses dropped% Refunded

Before semester begins100%
Within first week of semester90%
Within second week of semester80%
Within third week of semester70%
Within fourth week of semester60%
After fourth week of semesterNo refund

Fees, including the tuition deposits for new students, are non-refundable. Housing fees are subject to the terms stated in the ousing contract.

The above percentages will be applied to the number of credits dropped and the tuition will be recalculated based on the new credit load. Refund amounts will be the difference between tuition already paid and the recalculated tuition. Contact the Cashier's Office if you have questions about your account. Your financial aid may be affected if you withdraw or drop credits. Failure to complete payment prior to withdrawal does not relieve you of financial liability. For students receiving Title IV funds (federal aid) who withdraw officially or unofficially from all classes, refund calculations will be based on the amount of Title IV aid earned and on the amount of time the student was in attendance, using a proportional calculation through 60 percent of the payment period. This calculation has no relationship to the student's institutional charges. The amount of tuition, fees, housing, and meal plans assessed will be based on the institutional refund policy.

Tuition and Fee Information

Tuition information per term (12+ credits) for the 2006-2007 academic year is as follows:

  • Degree Course (BM, BS, MM) Full-Time—$13,800
  • Undergraduate Diploma Full-Time—$13,800
  • Professional Studies Diploma Full-Time—$9,780
  • Lessons for a second major and/or concentration—$3,240

For students with more than one major and/or concentration, the tuition shall be the sum of the full-time course plus the cost of the second concentration lessons.

Fee Information

Fee information for 2003-2004 academic year is as follows:

  • Application Fee (non-refundable)—$100
  • Tuition Deposit (new students, non-refundable)—$500
  • University Services Fee (per term)—$100
  • Mannes Divisional Fee (per term)—$15
  • Health Services Fee (per term)—$190
  • Health Insurance Plan (may be waived)—$1,499
  • Charge for Returned Bank Check—$30
  • Late Registration Fee—$150
  • Late Tuition Payment Fee—$150

New School Housing offers dormitories to Mannes students. For room and board information, see the University Housing.

Billing and Payment Information

An invoice for fall semester's tuition and fees, including approved financial aid awards, is mailed to students during July. Payment is due in August. For the spring semester, invoices are mailed during December and payment is due the first week in January. Invoices will be mailed only to registered students. Fall students will be charged a $150 late fee if they register after the specified payment arrangements deadline in early August. Payment for tuition, fees and housing may be made by bank debit card and cash (in person only), or by personal check (made payable to The New School), Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or wire transfer. There is also a monthly payment plan. For more information please visit For questions about billing and payments, please contact the Cashier's Office at 212.229.5659 or email

Connect with the New School