Applicants should follow the repertoire guidelines on the Auditions and Interviews page.
Audition Calendar for 2013 Admission
Deadline Extended to January 1, 2013: Application deadline and postmark deadline for official transcripts, letters of recommendation, prescreening recordings, and TOEFL scores
January 1, 2013: Individual application checklists posted online
February 1, 2013: All application materials should be completed for admission consideration
February 10-11, 2013: Orchestral conducting auditions
March 3-10, 2013: Entrance auditions (individual instrument audition dates will be posted in November)
- Bassoon - Thursday, March 7, 2013 (9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon)
- Cello - Sunday, March 3, 2013 (6:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m.) and Tuesday, March 5, 2013 (9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.) *At Goldmark Practice Center on March 3 only
- Clarinet - Sunday, March 3, 2013 (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) *At Goldmark Practice Center
- Collaborative Piano - Sunday, March 10, 2013 (9:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m.)
- Composition - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 (10:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.); Wednesday, March 6, 2013 (10:00 a.m.-4:40 p.m.); and Thursday, March 7, 2013 (10:00 a.m.-4:40 p.m.)
- Double Bass - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 (4:00-5:30 p.m.)
- Flute - Thursday, March 7, 2013 (12:00-4:30 p.m.)
- Guitar - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 (11:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Harp - Friday, March 8, 2013 (3:20-5:00 p.m.)
- Harpsichord - Saturday, March 9 (1:00-2:00 p.m.)
- Horn - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 (12:00-2:00 p.m.) *At Goldmark Practice Center
- Oboe - Friday, March 8, 2013 (11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.) *At Goldmark Practice Center
- Percussion - Tuesday, March 5 (12:00-1:40 p.m.) and Wednesday, March 6 (12:00-3:30 p.m.)
- Piano - Friday, March 8 (9:00 a.m.-7:30 p.m.); Saturday, March 9 (9:00 a.m.-7:30 p.m.); and Sunday, March 10, 2013 (9:00 a.m.-7:30 p.m.)
- Saxophone - March 7 (10:00 a.m.)
- Tenor and Bass Trombone - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 (2:00-7:00 p.m.) *At Goldmark Practice Center
- Trumpet - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 (12:00-2:30 p.m.)
- Theory - Friday, March 8, 2013 (2:00-3:40 p.m.)
- Tuba - Friday, March 8, 2013 (3:00-4:00 p.m.) *At Goldmark Practice Center
- Viola - Sunday, March 3, 2013 (9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.)
- Violin - Monday, March 4 (10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.); Wednesday, March 6; (10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.); and Friday, March 8, 2013 (10:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Voice - Sunday, March 3 (11:30 a.m.-10:00 p.m.); Monday, March 4 (11:30 a.m.-10:00 p.m.); and Wednesday, March 6, 2013 (11:30 a.m.-10:00 p.m.)
* Note: Auditions listed with an asterisk (*) take place at the Goldmark Practice Center, 37 West 65th Street, 3rd floor, New York City. All other auditions take place in Mannes' main building, 150 West 85th Street, New York City.
We strongly recommend that all applicants audition during this period. Most places in the new class will be filled and most scholarships will be awarded on the basis of the first round of auditions. Opportunities will be limited after that. A live audition at Mannes is required of all applicants for undergraduate degrees and diplomas, all Master of Music applicants, and most Professional Studies Diploma (PDPL) applicants. Since 2011, international applicants for the PDPL in most majors have been allowed to audition by DVD, but live auditions are still required for all piano, voice, violin, flute, composition, theory, collaborative piano, and conducting applicants, without exception.
Once application materials have been received and reviewed, the Office of Admission assigns a date for the in-person audition, musicianship exam, and interviews. Applicants are contacted by email and mail at least one month before their assigned date with details of their visit to Mannes. Scheduled audition dates for all majors are posted on this page on December 1 every year. You can request a specific date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org after December 1 but before January 15. Audition information will be emailed to you from email@example.com, so we recommend that you update your email address book and check your spam filter regularly.
Applicants to some majors and degree programs may be able to audition later, with the approval of the Office of Admission.
Late Audition Period
April 1, 2013: Application deadline and postmark deadline for prescreening and supplemental materials
May 28-29, 2013: Late auditions
Accompanists for Auditions
Applicants must use an accompanist for all appropriate literature. Accompanists will be provided. Note: Mannes can provide an accompanist for applicants auditioning in voice or orchestral instruments, but the applicant must bring music for the accompanist in every case.