Study Abroad Procedures

  • The following information will guide you in procedures for studying abroad. Find answers to general questions in our FAQ. Remember to contact an advisor if you need help. You should never feel alone in this process.

    1. Determine your eligibility. To be eligible to study abroad, you must:

    • Complete one year in residence or have 30 transfer credits (i.e., at least sophomore standing).
    • Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. Note that the minimum GPA requirement for some programs may be higher.
    • Register for “mobility” (study abroad) credits; see step #7 below.
    • Plan to complete any study abroad program by the end of your junior year if you are a Lang BA student (as a senior, you have a residency requirement). BA/BFA Parsons students can study abroad in their third or fourth year, depending on coursework requirements. BA/BFA Jazz students, speak with the Office of Academic Affairs at Jazz or with the Study Abroad advisor.

    2. Research programs

    • Schedule an appointment with the Study Abroad advisor and/or attend Lang’s annual Study Abroad Fair. The fair occurs in late September or early October.
    • Attend the spring Study Abroad Info Session and other study abroad-related events. Announcements will be sent to your university email account.
    • Discover reputable outside programs through websites such as IIEPassport,, or The Study Abroad advisor also keeps information booklets for various programs.

    3. Obtain approval for your program. You do not need to obtain approval to apply for Lang-sponsored programs or outside programs where credit transfer is pre-approved, but notify the Study Abroad advisor about programs you’re considering. To ensure that your credits transfer for all other programs and to ensure that you have the proper enrollment status while abroad, provide the Study Abroad advisor with your program name and a list of classes you wish to take.

    4. Obtain approval to apply classes to your concentration. After the Study Abroad advisor has approved your courses for credit transfer (see the note above), you must contact your concentration chairperson for written approval if you want to apply study abroad classes to your concentration. Depending on your concentration, between one and three courses may be accepted.

    5. Submit your study abroad applications by the deadline.

    • Applications are typically available on program websites. The Study Abroad advisor has a limited amount of hard-copy applications for select programs.
    • Apply early whenever possible, especially since some programs have rolling deadlines. Program deadlines tend to fall in October/November for the spring semester and March/April for the fall semester and academic year.
    • Submit your application directly to the study abroad program, unless you are applying to Sarah Lawrence or University of Amsterdam programs. For those programs, send your  application directly to the Study Abroad advisor.
    • For all programs, indicate the Study Abroad advisor as the recipient of your final official transcript:
    • Once accepted: apply for your passport and visa (where applicable) immediately to ensure that you receive them before your departure.

    6. Determine financial aid options and complete a consortium/contractual agreement

    • Learn about financing study abroad at Lang's Study Abroad website. Here you will find information about:

    • If you receive financial aid, meet with a financial aid counselor to understand how your aid might be applied to your abroad program.
    • If you choose one of our Lang-sponsored programs, you should remain eligible for both institutional and federal funds. You cannot receive institutional aid from The New School for any other program, although you may maintain eligibility to receive federal aid.
    • If federal loans are approved for transfer, you should complete a consortium/contractual agreement form (available from Student Financial Services or the Study Abroad advisor). This form is not required for any of our in-house programs.

    7. Register for study abroad

    • Inform the Study Abroad advisor as soon as you are accepted into a program. During the registration period (November for spring; April for fall), you should arrange with the Study Abroad advisor to register for “mobility” credits for the semester(s) you’ll be abroad. These are merely a placeholder to maintain your Lang enrollment status. As such, they don’t represent a final evaluation of your credits.
    • Summer programs: Different registration procedures may apply; contact the Study Abroad advisor.
    • Important: If you have not been notified about admission to your abroad program before Lang’s registration period, register for courses at Lang as a backup. Once you receive notice about admission, the Study Abroad advisor can adjust your registration accordingly.
    • A note on transferring credits: after the Study Abroad advisor has received your official program transcript, the mobility credits will be replaced as long as the courses have been approved and you have earned a grade of C or higher. While your abroad course titles and corresponding Lang subject codes will appear on your New School transcript, the grades will not appear and will not factor into your New School GPA. Keep in mind that if someone requests your academic history, such as for employment or graduate school admission, you will be asked to submit transcripts for each school you have attended, including for study abroad.

    8. Before you depart

    • Complete your financial aid consortium/contractual agreement (if applicable), passport and visa application, and all other documents, and submit them to the appropriate offices and agencies before departing.
    • Keep in mind that federal aid isn’t available until after the semester starts. To ensure that you receive your financial aid refund to use towards your study abroad expenses, visit MyNewSchool to request an electronic transfer. You can also designate another adult (parent, family member, or close friend) to endorse and deposit your funds to a bank account from which you can withdraw money while you’re abroad. If you prefer not do this online, you should give the bursar an address to which your refund check can be mailed, and get a power of attorney form from Student Financial Services to designate your proxy.
    • Remember to pay your Student Health Services fee (required of all full-time students). Also remember to waive your New School health insurance through MyNewSchool if you will receive alternate coverage. Important: students studying abroad in the fall ONLY who wish to reinstate the New School policy for spring must show proof of terminated alternate coverage for fall. Students studying abroad in the sping only can waive the policy only if they did not use it during the fall. Contact Student Health Services for more information.
    • Important: As the traveler, you are expected to arrange to receive your passport and visa (if applicable) for your time abroad. Unless your study abroad program specifically mentions that assistance is offered, you assume full responsibility for obtaining your travel documents. Refer to the admissions materials from your host institution or program for instructions. Remember to apply early, paperwork can take some time to be processed.

    9. Keep in touch with your advisors while abroad

    • As soon as you arrive at your destination, contact the Study Abroad advisor to confirm you have internet access for registration purposes (see topic on registration below)
    • Remember that you can contact your faculty advisor and concentration chairperson while abroad. Contact the Study Abroad advisor if you have any questions or concerns.

    10. Register for your next semester’s courses at Lang while abroad

    • During the semester before you return to the United States, you’ll be allowed to register for Lang classes while abroad. Registration occurs in November for the spring semester, and in April for the fall semester.
    • Shortly before registration, the Study Abroad advisor will email you via your New School account with registration dates and materials, as well as your registration pin number. You can also find most registration materials on Lang’s registration homepage.
    • If you have internet access abroad, you’ll be able to register during your class year’s normal activation period through MyNewSchool. If you have limited internet access or if you encounter any problems, contact the Study Abroad advisor, who can assist with your registration.

    11. Sign up for Lang on-campus housing while abroad. If you have internet access abroad, you will be able to select your room/apartment as usual during the housing lottery. The Office of Student Housing will e-mail your New School account with instructions about a month prior to the lottery period.

    12. Check in with the Study Abroad advisor when you come home. Every student who participates in an international program should meet with a study abroad advisor upon returning. You can discuss your academic experience abroad, pending transfer credits, readjustment to Lang and the United States, and any other concerns. Many students return to the United States with a more global perspective and a thirst for international education, but some experience reverse culture shock. This might include

    • Unexpected emotional highs and lows
    • Feelings of disorientation and frustration with one's culture
    • Doubts about core values and beliefs

    You don’t have to process your feelings alone. Support is always available from your advisors. For more resources on re-adjusting to life at home, visit our new website.