Frequently Asked Questions

The university understands that college decisions are made by families. You are encouraged to explore the website to learn more about  academic programs and the unique opportunities that a Lang education provides. If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact the Office of Admission.

Can we check the status of the admissions application online?

Yes. The applicant can check an application's status online using the log-in they received in the acknowledgment letter from the Office of Admission. However, the Office of Admission does not post admissions decisions on this site. Your student will be contacted directly regarding our final decision.

When will we receive notification of the admissions decision?

  • Notification for Freshman Early Action I candidates is mailed by December 15.
  • Notification for Freshman Early Action II candidates is mailed by the end of February.
  • Notification for Freshman Early Entrance and Regular Decision is mailed by April 1.
  • Notification for Fall and Spring Transfer applications is mailed on a rolling basis.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal mandate that requires universities and colleges to comply with certain guidelines enacted to protect the privacy of students. Under FERPA, The New School cannot disclose academic and other information such as medical records unless the student has provided written permission to do so.

Can a Lang student work on campus during the academic year?

Yes. There are two programs that provide on-campus employment for Eugene Lang College and other New School students: the Federal Work Study and On-Campus Student Employment Program offer employment to students enrolled in a degree program and taking at least 6 credits. Students interested in employment should view job postings.

Does the university offer an orientation program for new students?

Yes, the university hosts Welcome Weekend and, for first-time freshmen, new transfers and families, a New Student Orientation as well.

What happens if my son or daughter gets sick?

Student Health Services offers medical care, psychological services, an insurance plan, and educational programs for students.

When will I see my son's or daughter's grades?

Grades are no longer mailed. Each student has access to MyNewSchool, the university's online services, where he or she can access grades, account balances, financial aid awards, and address information. The university cannot provide grade information to parents or other family members.

How safe is New York City?

Like anywhere else, New York City is remarkably safe when good judgment is exercised. During the fall and spring semesters, new students are strongly encouraged to attend workshops on "Safety in the City" offered as part of the university orientation. On campus, ID cards are required for admission into university buildings and, in the residence halls, students are required to register guests. Security is on-call 24 hours a day.

Is there a meal plan for students who live on campus?

Students who live at Stuyvesant Park, 13th Street, Loeb Hall, and Kerrey Hall during the fall/spring semesters are automatically enrolled in Dining Dollars, The New School's meal plan program. The charge is added to the student's account at the beginning of each semester. Upon arrival on campus, students can present their New School ID, the newcard, at the dining facilities for meals or snacks. For more details, or information about the new Nonresident Dining Program, visit the Dining Dollars page.

Are the housing units open during holidays and breaks?

Yes, all housing units are open 24 hours, 365 days a year.

Where can we stay when visiting our son or daughter?

To learn more about visiting Lang, including options for tours, information sessions, directions, area attractions, and hotel options, please see the Visit page on the Admission website.