K. Vela Velupillai
BE (Engineering,Kyoto University), M. Soc. Sci., (Economics, University of Lund), PhD (Economics, Cambridge University)Profile:
Concentration: Courses Taught:
Macroeconomic Dynamics, with especial reference to nonlinear, endogenous, business cycle theory, Mathematical Foundations of Economic Theory, Computability and constructivity in economic theory, History and Methodology of Economics, with especial interests in the development of 20th Century economic theory, (Classical) Behavioural Economics (i.e., Herbert Simon’s development of the Behavioural Sciences).
Macroeconomic Theory Recent Publications:
History of Economic Thought
Macro Development Economics.
Articles in Journals & Chapters in Books (2009-2013, a selection)
- A Non-Linear Model of the Trade Cycle: Mathematical Reflections on Hugh Hudson's Classic (jointly with V.Ragupathy & Stefano Zambelli), Forthcoming in:Australian Economic Papers;
- Towards a Political Economy of the Theory of Economic Policy, Forthcoming in: Cambridge Journal of Economics;
- Iteration, Tâtonnement, Computation and Economic Dynamics, Forthcoming in: The Cambridge Journal of Economics.
- Behavioural Economics: Classical and Modern (jointly with Ying-Fang Kao), Forthcoming in: The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought
- The Epistemology of Computation, Simulation and Dynamics in Economics, Forthcoming in: Handbook on Computational Economics and Finance, edited by Shu-Heng Chen & Mak Kaboudan, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Three Notes on Alan Turing’s Contribution to Emergence, Problem Solving and Constructive Mathematics, Forthcoming in: Alan Turing – His Work and Impact, edited by S. Barry Cooper & J. van Leeuwen, Elsevier Science, 2013.
- Postkeynesian Precepts for Nonlinear, Endogenous, Nonstochastic Business Cycle Theories, Forthcoming in: The Handbook of Post Keynesian Economics, edited by Geoff Harcourt and Peter Kiesler, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2013.
- Foley’s Thesis, Negishi’s Method, Existence Proofs and Computations, Forthcoming in: The Festschrift in Honour of Professor Duncan Foley, edited by Lance Taylor, Armon Rezai and Thomas Michl, Routledge, London, 2013.
- Noncomputability, Unpredictability, Undecidability and Unsolvability in Economic & Finance Theories (jointly with Ying-Fang Kao, V. Ragupathy & Stefano Zambelli), Complexity, Vol. 18, Issue 1, September/October, pp. 51-55, 2012.
- Bourbaki’s Destructive Influence on the Mathematisation of Economics, Economic & Political Weekly, Vol. XLVII, # 3, January 21, 2012.
- Reflections on Mathematical Economics in the Algorithmic Mode, New Mathematics and Natural Computation, Vol. 8, #1, March, 2012.
- The Relevance of Computation Irreducibility as Computation Universality in Economics, in: Irreducibility and Computational Equivalence: Wolfram Science 10 Years After the Publication of A New Kind of Science, edited by Hector Zenil, Springer-Verlag, December, 2012.
- Dynamic Complexity, Nonlinearity and Emergence: An Algorithmic Interpretation”, Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol. XXV, #3, pp. 547-568, 2011.
- Towards an Algorithmic Revolution in Economic Theory, The Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol. XXV, #3, pp. 401- 430, 2011.
- The Phillips Machine and the Epistemology of Analogue Computation, Economia Politica [Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics], Vol. XXVII, pp. 39-62, Special Issue, 2011.
- Uncomputability and Undecidability in Economic Theory”, Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 215, Issue 4, 15 October, pp. 1404-1416, 2009.
- Computable Economics The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics, Vol. 259 Editor (jointly with Stefano Zambelli & Stephen Kinsella) Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, December, 2011.
- Computable Foundation for Economics Routledge, London, February, 2010
Room 1117, 11th Floor, 6 East 16th Street.Office Hours:Phone Number/Extension:
212-229-5717 X4908Email:firstname.lastname@example.orgProfessional Affiliations:
(Founding) Director, Algorithmic Social Sciences Research Unit (ASSRU), Department of Economics, University of Trento, Trento, Italy (http://www.assru.economia.unitn.it/).Awards and Honors:
Member, past & present, editorial boards of several journals, editor of book series by leading publishers and (invited) guest editor of international journals.
• Elected Foreign Corresponding Member, Brazilian Academy of Philosophy, April, 2006.
• Awarded the first ‘2009 Nord-Sud Fondazione Pescarabbruzzo Prize’ for the Social Sciences.
• Elected Foreign Member, Moral Sciences Division of the Juridical, Political and Economic Sciences, Istituto Lombardo, July, 2010.
• Gave the 19th Herbert Simon Lectures at the National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan, 17th and 23rd March, 2010.
• Gave the 18th Krishna Bharadwaj Lecture at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 8th March, 2010.