BS, Physical Education from São Paulo University.
BA, Dance from Empire State College.
Part Time Assistant Professor, DanceProfile:
João Maurício Carvalho, a gymnastics champion in his native Brazil, has a degree in Physical Education from São Paulo University and a BA in dance from Empire State College. A Fulbright Scholar, Mr. Carvalho was a member of the Paul Taylor Dance Company for ten years. He was Choreographic Assistant for the John Boorman film “The Emerald Forest”, in which he also appeared. He was part of John Turturro’s “ Romance And Cigarettes.” He has choreographed for Balé da Cidade De São Paulo, different Pick up companies in São Paulo Brazil, and with Margie Gillis. He is very much involved in dance education. In addition to teaching at the Paul Taylor School, Marymount Manhattan College, Eugene Lang College, Montclair State University, and various other schools around the world, he co-directs with Mrs. Yamauchi the São Paulo based pick up company “LúdicaDança.”Courses Taught:
- Modern Dance for Non-Majors
Eugene Lang College, The New School for Liberal ArtsPhone Number/Extension:
65 West 11th Street
New York, NY 10011
212-229-5100 x2287Email:CarvalhJ@newschool.eduResearch Interests:
- Multimedia with focus on Dance
- Feldenkrais Method
- Co-Director of “Lúdicadança,” a Pickup Dance Company in São Paulo, Brazil.
- On faculty staff of: Eugene Lang College, Marymount Manhattan College, Montclair University, and Paul Taylor Dance School.
Awards and Honors:
- “CUBO,” a full evening work developed with Susana Yamauchi and Fernando Meirelles in São Paulo, Brazil
- "COISAS QUE AJUDAM A VIVER" Conception with Susana Yamauchi for "Balé Da Cidade De São Paulo.
- A Fulbright Scholar
- All Around Brazilian Artistic Gymnastics Champion, 70,71,74.