PhD 1990, Institute for Philosophy of the Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Professor of PhilosophyProfile:
Dmitri Nikulin is Professor of Philosophy at the New School for Social Research. He received his PhD in philosophy from the Institute for Philosophy of the Academy of Sciences in Moscow and held visiting positions at the universities of Essen, Heidelberg (Germany), Oslo (Norway), Reykjavik Academy (Iceland), Universidad de los Andes (Santiago, Chile), Istituto italiano per gli studi filosofici (Naples, Italy), Ecole pratique des hautes études (Paris).
- Metaphysik und Ethik. Theoretische und praktische Philosophie in Antike und Neuzeit. München, 1996.
- Matter, Imagination and Geometry. Ontology, Natural Philosophy and Mathematics in Plotinus, Proclus and Descartes. Ashgate, 2002.
- On Dialogue, Lexington, 2006
-Dialectic and Dialogue, Stanford, 2010
-The Other Plato. SUNY Press, 2012.
Room 1020, 6 East 16th StreetOffice Hours:
Email for appointment or check updated listed at Student Advisor's OfficePhone Number/Extension:
212-229-5707, ext. 3079Email:NikulinD@newschool.eduResearch Interests:
Philosophy and history of science of late antiquity and early modernity (17th century), philosophy of dialogue, philosophy of history and memory.
Member of the Board of Editors of the Gesamtausgabe
der Werke von Hans Jonas (in affiliation with the Hans Jonas
Zentrum, Berlin)Awards and Honors:
- Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation research grants at the Universities of Tübingen, Freiburg, Heidelberg, Marburg.
- Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Study (Forschungskolleg), Bad Homburg.