AB Dartmouth College, Film Studies
MA University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts, Film and Television
MAHL Master of Hebrew Letters and Rabbinical Ordination Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, NY
ABD. Ph.D. in Education and Jewish Studies, Steinhardt, New York University, specialization Digital Media and Games for Learning
Part Time Lecturer, Education StudiesProfile:
I am passionate about teaching and learning, about interest and curiosity, and the paths that learners find to new curiosity. Media and culture are often at the heart of my research, whether in researching a new game for learning or through researching the acquisition of cultural practices.
- Theories of Teaching and Learning
- 2013 Media Studies Orientations for Israel Education: Lessons from In Treatment, Homeland and Z-Cars. Journal of Jewish Education. (79:1) 2013. Pages 49-69.
- 2013 You Can’t Wrap Herring in an iPad: Digitization of Sacred Jewish Books, the Stripping of Embodied Ritual, and Implications for Jewish Education. CCAR Journal: The Reform Jewish Quarterly, Spring, 2013. Pages 130-141.
- 2013 Game Design Seedlings: ‘Multi-Dimensional’ Modeling Sh’ma: A Journal of Jewish Responsibility, February 2013/Adar 5773, pages 13-14.
- 2012 An Agenda For Jewish Games For Learning. Contact: The Journal Of The Steinhardt Foundation For Jewish Life. Autumn 2012/Cheshvan 5773 Volume 15 Number 1, page 9.
After class at the New School, by appointmentEmail:email@example.comResearch Interests:
- Games for Learning; dissertation work on augmented reality
- GPS games for learning modern Jewish history
- Digital Media and Learning
- Jewish education and Jewish civilization
- Religion and Media
- History education
- Design-based research; mixed methods
- Digital Humanities and materiality of sacred texts
- Media, communication, and culture
Awards and Honors:
- Network for Research in Jewish Education (NRJE)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- International Society of the Learning Sciences (ISLS)
- International Game Developers Association (IGDA)
- Writers Guild of America, West (WGA)
- 2013 Jewish Time Jump: New York nominated for Most Innovative Game 2013 by Games for Change 10th Annual Festival.
- 2013 Network for Research in Jewish Education (NRJE) Emerging Scholar Award.
- 2012 Signature Grant from Covenant Foundation to ConverJent (Gottlieb, Founder and Director) for $65,000 over two years to develop digital mobile game for teaching Jewish history.
- 2010 Jim Joseph Fellowship to Ph.D. program at Steinhardt/NYU