• Declaring Your Major

    Every student who has earned 30 credits must declare a major by their fourth semester or no later than the beginning of their fifth semester (except transfer students entering with 60 credits, who may take one additional semester before declaring). Students must declare before the registration period for their junior year or risk a registration hold. As an exception, transfer students admitted with junior standing have a grace period of one semester to declare their area of study. Juniors may declare sooner if they feel certain of their decision. Transfer students who have earned fewer than 45 credits must fulfill all the requirements in effect at the time of their declaration. Transfer students who have earned 45 credits or more are allowed to fulfill either the requirements in effect at the time of declaration or the requirements in effect at the time they matriculated at Eugene Lang College. This only pertains to areas of study where the curriculum has changed during the time of enrollment. 

    To declare your major, log into, click on the Academics tab, then select the link to "Major/Minor Declarations." Be sure to consult an advisor about general degree requirements separate from your major requirements. Additional information about the curricular requirements for each area of study can be found online or by contacting your advisor. Students are permitted to change majors after consulting with their advisor, but any student contemplating a change of major must make sure they have time to complete the required courses in the new area of study. 


    You can obtain valuable practical experience while earning academic credit. Lang's Internship Program offers extensive opportunities to earn credit while obtaining practical experience and facilitating your professional growth. Participants acquire essential skills and gain career clarification and increased confidence. An internship can inform your decision about a concentration. Internships are available in a range of fields, including publishing, education, government, arts administration, television and radio, record labels, nonprofit administration, and political organizations. You must complete an Experience Learning Agreement to earn credit for an internship. Advisors at the Center for Student Success-Career Services are available to help you through the process. To search for an internship, please visit the Center for Student Success.

    Study Abroad

    Expand your horizons and develop a global perspective through study abroad. Join the growing number of students earning academic credit while taking courses, working at internships, and pursuing volunteer projects abroad. Numerous study abroad options are available to you as a member of the Lang community. You can study abroad through one of our in-house exchange programs or through a pre-approved outside provider. If you are short on time or funds, consider a short-term experience abroad. A number of these opportunities are available directly through Lang. A successful study abroad experience requires considerable planning. Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor as well as Program Coordinator for Student Affairs and Global Initiatives Maria Ferroni, early in the process. They will help you research potential destinations and programs, application and language requirements, and financial aid opportunities, and will discuss the number of credits you can earn. Learn more about study abroad opportunities.


    Community outreach and student activities represent important dimensions to your education, and many students attend Lang for its progressive traditions and belief that students can effect real social change. Enrich your academic experience and help your community by joining student activities, volunteering for service organizations, working on events and lectures, or doing an internship. Learn more about the university's service learning and volunteer programs , visit Lang's Office of Civic Engagement and Social Justice, or speak with an advisor.