International Students

The university's reputation for academic excellence and its location in New York City's Greenwich Village make Eugene Lang College appealing to students from other countries. About five percent of the students in the college now are international.

TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE Scores

All applicants whose first language is not English must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores. The minimum score required for TOEFL (IB) is 100, for IELTS is 7.0, and for PTE is 68. (Our TOEFL institution code is 2521.) The TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned a 4-year degree from a U.S. College or University, or for citizens of the following countries whose native language is also English: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, or Common Wealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago). Arrange for the testing service to send your test scores directly to The New School using the institution code listed above. We accept scores for tests taken within the past two years. If your scores are older, you must retake the test. For more information, visit TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE.

International Academic Credentials

International Academic Credentials: All transcripts not written in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

International Academic Credentials with Transfer Credits: Applicants who attended post secondary institutions outside of the US are required to have their transcript(s) evaluated by World Education Services (WES), our preferred provider, or by another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). A course-by-course evaluation must be prepared for each transcript. In the absence of an evaluation, the Admissions Committee will do their best to render a decision. Please note, in some cases a review cannot be made without an evaluation and a committee decision will be delayed. If you are using WES, visit to find instructions and begin the application process. The "Required Documents" section explains what to send. If you request your report online, search for "Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts" when selecting our institution. WES will send your completed evaluation directly to The New School. If you are using another NACES provider, follow instructions for that provider. Mailed evaluations and translations should be sent to the mailing address provided for supporting materials. Applicants forwarding these sealed documents should include an Application Materials Cover Sheet (PDF).

Advanced Standing from Other Educational Systems

Students from other educational systems abroad can submit examination results for possible advanced standing credit. Examples of national maturity examinations are the GCE A Level Examinations (United Kingdom), Baccalaureate (France), Maturita (Italy), and Maturité (Switzerland). To be considered for advanced standing, a student must submit official examination results (in English) and, where relevant, an official transcription obtained through a professional service such as Worldwide Education Services (WES). In general, advanced standing credit will be awarded only for qualifying scores on the more advanced/higher-level maturity examinations. Credit awards will vary depending on the specific examination and results achieved, but not more than 30 credits total can be awarded for all examinations submitted.

Visa Information

International students who require an I-20 or DS-2019 form to obtain a visa will receive a link to the online International Student Application Packet in their acceptance letters. They can also obtain the link via the Accepted Student tab in MyNewSchool. The Accepted Student page includes information about applying for the I-20 or DS-2019, guidelines for providing financial documents, instructions and procedures for F-1 transfer students, and other important forms and information. For more information, go to International Student Services on the New School website.