Drummers must first submit a pre-screen recording. You must send this recording so it arrives by the application deadline of the term to which you are applying. If the pre-screen is favorably reviewed, you must complete either a live audition at the school or submit an audition recording. The audition requirements are the same regardless of audition method.
Pre-screen Evaluation Requirements
Applicants must submit the pre-screen recording using Acceptd. The service fee is $25. You may use either your own rhythm section or the pre-recorded accompaniment tracks that we provide. The repertoire requirements differ depending on the method of submission; please read the instructions carefully.
If using your own rhythm section:
- “Caravan” with a Latin A section and a swing B section
- A ballad such as “Body & Soul” or “My One and Only Love”
- “Softly as in a Morning Sunrise” or a solo piece (medium tempo in four four time, hi hat on two and four with a jazz feel that has a beginning, middle, and an ending)
If using pre-recorded accompaniment:
- “All Blues”
- “Body & Soul”
- “Softly as in a Morning Sunrise”
- Solo piece (medium tempo in four four time, hi hat on two and four with a jazz feel. Introduce a theme, develop or improvise on the theme, and return to the original theme for a clear ending.)
Drums Audition Requirements
Pending a favorable pre-screen evaluation, applicants must perform three jazz standards with a rhythm section provided by the school. Audition tunes must be different from the pre-screen tunes.
- One up-tempo tune
- One ballad
- One blues tune
Applicants must demonstrate their instrument quality, range, articulation, as well as their ability to play time, improvise, and
play with a rhythm section.
Drummers will perform their live audition on our drum kit, using our cymbals. We
do not allow drummers to perform on their own cymbals. If you wish to warm up in one of our practice rooms before the audition, we also provide a full drum kit. If you need a
left-handed kit, you must notify us when confirming your audition time.
Applicants who pass the pre-screen and are submitting an audition recording should include the same repertoire as is required for the live audition. Recorded auditions must be performed with a live rhythm section. Once the recording is complete, applicants should submit it using Acceptd. The service fee is $25.