Transparency, Slide & Film Scanners (Epson) scan negatives, slides and transparency sheets for your photographs and other transparency media.
Degree or Credit-Seeking Students
Epson Transparency, Slide & Film Scanners are during Lab Hours
The Epson Transparency, Slide & Film Epson scanners are located at Arnhold Hall (55 West 13th St.) 8th Floor Lab.
From the 8th floor reception desk, you can borrow four different categories of slide mount adapters, based on availability.
- 4x5 Slide Holder Adapter (max 4 slides)
- 35mm Negative Film Holder Adapter (max 4 film strips)
- 35mm Slide Holder Adapter (max 15 slides)
- 21/4"x7" Slide Holder Adapter (max 3 slides)
To get started with the transparency, Slide & Film Scanner (Epson), first get the appropriate scanning tray from the Arnhold Hall, 8th Floor reception desk. Ensuring that the scanner is powered on, place your media inside the appropriate tray and lay the holder directly onto the glass so that it is aligned with the upper right corner.
- Select the Apple Icon. Go to Utilities > Epson Scan
- In the Mode dropdown menu, select Professional Mode.
- Set Document Type to Film (w/ film holder) and set the appropriate film setting.
- Click Preview. If scanning multiple slides or frames, you will be shown thumbnails of each slide or frame. Checkmark the thumbnails you want to scan.
- Make sure that your settings for the scan are correct. Scan mode: Transparency for Pos/Neg Film Resolution: 72 dpi for web, 180 dpi for print, 360 dpi or higher for photo. Magnification; 100% for same size image
- Click Scan.
- Name your file(s) under "File Name" and Save to Work In Progress.