The Imacon Drum scanner can scan various film types for fast, high end digital photo production, along with the ability to repair dust and scratches in a single scan.
Degree or Credit-Seeking Students
The Drum Scanner may be accessed during Lab Hours
The Imacon Drum Scanner is located at Arnhold Hall (55 West 13th St.), Room i930 and i405, and the 8th floor. Checkout for accessories is at Arnhold Hall, 8th floor reception. You will need a valid New School ID. You can also checkout Imacon Scanner accessories.
The Imacon Scanner uses a Flex Touch scanning application. Flex touch is a unique application whereby the original film is cleaned from dirt and scratches as it is being scanned. Go to Window > Texture > Option > Flex touch. Adjust the intensity level for cleaning images; activate the power symbol to see the results.
Recommended resolution is at least 300 dpi. However, you can scan up to the maximum resolution available with each of the original holders by scanning in True Resolution mode. Refer to the manual located at the Apple Dock menu under Servers > Manuals & Resources > Device Manuals > Scanners > ImaconFlextight manuals > Scanner Manuals ImaconFlextightEnglish646 for more information about resolution modes.
Follow these steps to scan with the Imacon Drum Scanner:
- Launch the application Applications > Flex Color 3.9.3
- Make sure the feed table is attached properly into the scanner.
- Power the Imacon Drum Scanner by pressing the green button located on the front panel.
- After selecting the size of film holder you wish to use; position the original image inside the frame as it will be placed within the parameters of scalable film.
- Position the film holder into the scanning tray and slide it into the scanner port until it magnetically snaps into the scanning position. Please do not use force when applying this step as it is unnecessary and may damage your slide.
- Make sure your film holder size in the scanner matches the settings in your program. Using the Imacon software, match the Film size and the film holder settings.
- Choose your settings and preview.
- Click the Scan button to begin scanning.
- Save to Work In Progress.
- When the scan is complete, remove your slide by "gently" lifting the film holder from the loading tray.
- Repeat steps 4 - 8 to scan the next image.
Once you are finished with your assignment, remove the film holder from the scanner, turn the Imacon off, secure the machine with the lock that is provided and return all film holders and keys back to Arnhold Hall, 8th floor reception.
Refer to the manual located at the Apple Dock menu under Servers > Manuals & Resources > Device Manuals > Scanners > ImaconFlextight manuals > Scanner Manuals ImaconFlextightEnglish646 for more information about resolution modes.