The New School offers both wired and wireless networking throughout the campus.
The wired network is used to connect desktop computers in university computing labs and office spaces to the Internet, to network printers, and to allow access to a variety of applications offered by the university, such as BlackBoard, MyNewSchool, administrative applications such as Banner, and many others.
The New School wireless Internet access campus-wide on a secure network called "newschoolnet". Login is required campus-wide, so that the network remains secure and that optimal performance is assured. This makes your wireless device safer from viruses, spyware and other threats, and makes more bandwidth available to the community.
To get started with "newschoolnet" go to any "newschoolnet" accessible location and launch a web browser.
Mac and Windows Laptops
- If it is your first time logging on to "newschoolnet" and your device is running a Microsoft Windows or Macintosh OS X operating system, you will be prompted to install the Safe•Connect policy key. You will only have to install the policy key the first time you access the network.
- Microsoft Windows computers will additionally be required to have anti-virus software installed, with up-to-date virus definitions. The New School offers the latest version of Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition as a free download
- When logging on to "newschoolnet," be sure you have only one anti-virus program installed on your computer. Having multiple anti-virus programs installed may result in false readings and prevent you from using the network services.
- The Safe•Connect policy key will only have to be installed the first time you access the network. In the future connect to "newschoolnet" will only have to launch a web browser. When you launch your browser you will be redirected to the "newschoolnet" login page. Enter your NetID username and password and you will be able to use the network.
Linux Machines and Mobile Devices
- Linux machines and mobile devices do not need the Safe•Connect policy key. To connect to "newschoolnet" with a Linux machine or mobile device, launch a web browser and you will be redirected to the "newschoolnet" login page. Enter your NetID username and password and you will be able to use the network.