Qualified Transportation Expense (QTE) Plan

The university offers a Qualified Transportation Expense (QTE) plan administered by EBPA. The QTE plan enables you to reduce your taxable income by setting aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible commuting expenses. You can enroll in or make changes to this plan at any time by submitting a QTE Enrollment/Change Form, found in Benefits Forms and Documents. Your enrollment or change will take effect on either the first day of the month you indicate on the form or, if no date is indicated, the first day of the month following receipt of the form.

Once your account is established, you can access it online or by calling EBPA's automated system at 888.678.3457. To set up online access, you need to create an account. You will need to enter your employee ID number (your Social Security number) and your EBPA card number (which appears on the front of your benefits card) and create a user ID and a password. You can then view your account contributions, reimbursements, and account balance(s) at any time.

There are two types of accounts, Mass Transit Accounts and Parking Accounts.  Review the QTE Summary for more information.

Mass Transit Account

Eligible expenses include commuting expenses incurred for travel to and from work by subway, train, bus, ferry, or van pool. (Taxicab expenses are not eligible.)

Parking Account

Eligible expenses include parking expenses incurred at a parking facility near your workplace or at a parking location from which you commute to work by mass transit or carpool.

How the QTE Account Works

You set aside money from each paycheck to be directed to a Mass Transit Account and/or Parking Account. The amount you contribute depends on the cost of your commute. The money set aside is deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis. Funds become available for use as you make paycheck contributions. After enrolling, you will receive a benefits card with a MasterCard logo from EBPA, which you can use to pay for eligible mass transit and/or parking expenses at the point of purchase. You must have enough funds available in your account to cover any purchases made with your card.

If you choose to contribute to a Mass Transit Account or Parking Account, monthly minimum and maximum elections apply:

    Minimum   Maximum
Mass Transit Account   $25   $130
Parking Account   $25   $250

In addition to making the pre-tax contribution to the Mass Transit Account and Parking Account, you can elect to make post-tax contributions if your expenses exceed the maximum pre-tax allowable election. That way, you can pay for your entire monthly commuting expense using your benefits card. Any funds remaining in your account(s) at the end of the calendar year are carried over to the next calendar year.

Requesting a Reimbursement

If you pay for QTE-eligible expenses out of pocket instead of using your benefits card, you must print and complete a QTE Reimbursement Claim Form, found in Benefits Forms and Documents, and either

  • Submit your completed Reimbursement Claim Form and receipts (if available) electronically through EBPA's secure document submission portal, secure.ebpabenefits.com (select "Reimbursement Accounts")


  • Return your completed Reimbursement Claim Form and receipts (if available) to the mailing address or fax number indicated on the form

You have until March 31 of the following calendar year to request reimbursement.

If you leave The New School, your participation in the QTE plan will end on your employment termination date. You will not be able to use your benefits card to pay for expenses after that date.

To obtain forms and documents related to the QTE plan, go to the Benefits Forms and Documents section.

Connect with the New School