Cost of Coverage and Covering Dependents:
All full-time faculty members and full-time and regular part-time administrative staff are eligible for Health Care Plan and Dental Care Plan coverage. Covered employees can enroll the following eligible dependents by providing the indicated supporting documents.
- A spouse: copy of a marriage certificate required
- A same- or opposite-sex domestic partner: copy of approved Statement of Domestic Partnership (PDF) required
- A child (or children) through the end of the year in which the covered child turns 26:* copy of a birth certificate that shows the names of both the parent and the child or legal documentation of adoption or court-ordered care by the employee
- A dependent child (or children) found to be handicapped before the attainment of age 19: copy of birth certificate that shows the names of both the parent and the child or legal documentation of adoption or court-ordered care by the employee and documentation of handicapped status
A child (or children) is defined as
- Your biological child
- Your stepchild
- Your qualified domestic partner’s child
- Your legally adopted child
- Your foster child, including any child placed with you for adoption
- Any child for whom you are responsible under court order
Eligible dependents can be enrolled only during the employee's initial eligibility period or enrolled/dropped from coverage during the annual Open Enrollment period unless you and/or your dependent experience a Change in Status as defined by Internal Revenue Code.
* Once a child no longer meets eligibility requirements, the covered employee must notify the benefits staff within 30 days so the child can be removed from the employee's coverage and offered continuation coverage through COBRA or through the New York State Coverage Expansion through Age 29 Act (the NYS “Young Adult” Option).
You and the university share in the cost of coverage (PDF). Contributions for Health Care Plan and Dental Care Plan coverage for yourself, a spouse, and/or a dependent child (or children) (if applicable) are deducted on a pre-tax basis from each biweekly paycheck. If you have enrolled a domestic partner, the portion of the contributions attributable to your coverage in the Health Care Plan and Dental Care Plan are deducted on a pre-tax basis. However, the portion of the contribution attributable to the domestic partner’s coverage is withheld from each biweekly paycheck on an after-tax basis, and the portion of the university’s contribution attributable to your domestic partner’s coverage is added to your earnings as taxable income (referred to as “imputed income”). Please review the 2014 imputed income chart for domestic partner coverage (PDF). Or, if you are covering a domestic partner and child(ren), review the 2014 imputed income chart for domestic partner and child(ren) coverage (PDF) for detailed taxation information.