Making Changes to Your Elections

Qualified Transportation Expense (QTE) Plan and Tax-Deferred Annuity (TDA) Plan

You can make changes to these plans once a month by completing and submitting a QTE Enrollment/Change Form and/or a Salary Reduction Form (TDA Plan), found on the Benefits Forms and Documents page. Your change takes effect on the first of the month you have indicated at the top of the form or the first of the month following receipt of your completed form if no date is indicated. Forms can be scanned and emailed to; sent through U.S. mail or interoffice mail to the Office of Human Resources/Benefits, 79 Fifth Avenue, 18th floor, New York, NY 10003; or faxed to 212.229.5884.  

Health Care Plan, Dental Care Plan, and Flexible Spending Account Plan

In general, you can change your elections for these plans only once a year, during the university's annual Open Enrollment period. However, you can change your elections during the calendar year if you have a Change in Status, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Change requests must be made no later than 31 days after the date of the status change, as described below:

  • Marital Status Change: marriage, death of spouse, divorce or annulment, legal separation
  • Dependent Status Change: birth, adoption or placement for adoption, death of dependent child, newly eligible dependents due to plan design change, dependent's loss of eligibility according to the terms of the plan, loss of student status, marriage of dependent child
  • Loss of Coverage: loss of other coverage by employee or dependent
  • Employment Status Change of the employee, spouse, or dependent child: commencement or termination of employment, commencement of or return from an unpaid leave of absence, change in employment classification that affects the individual’s eligibility under the plans, change in worksite
  • Judgments, Decrees and Orders: requirement that you or another individual provide health coverage for your dependent child(ren)
  • Other: establishment of a domestic partnership with a state or local municipality; termination of a domestic partnership; change in residence of the employee, spouse, or dependent child(ren)
  • For Dependent Care FSA only: The provider of the dependent care change or your cost for dependent care significantly increases or decreases.
In the case of the birth of a child, the change becomes effective on the child's date of birth. All other changes become effective the first of the month following the event.


Note: If you and/or your qualified dependent(s) lose eligibility under CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) or Medicaid or have been deemed eligible for state premium assistance under either CHIP or Medicaid, you and your qualified dependents have 60 days from the date coverage ends or the eligibility determination date to end coverage or enroll.

If you and/or your dependent(s) experience a Change in Status:

  1. You must complete and submit a Health Care, Dental Care, and/or Flexible Spending Enrollment/Change Form, as applicable. Forms can be found on the Benefits Forms and Documents page.
  2. You must submit documentation supporting the Change in Status, which clearly indicates the date the change is effective (for example, a letter from a spouse or domestic partner’s employer indicating loss of coverage).
  3. You must submit a copy of supporting dependent documentation (if it is not already on file with Human Resources), such as a marriage certificate, a child’s birth certificate, or the Statement of Domestic Partnership (PDF).

The forms and supporting documents can be scanned and emailed to; faxed to 212.229.5884; or mailed or sent by interoffice mail to The New School, Office of Human Resources/Benefits, 79 Fifth Avenue, 18th floor, New York NY 10003. Please keep copies for your own records.

Connect with the New School