The New School > Public Engagement > Skip Navigation Links Continuing Education > TESOL Summer Institute FAQ

The New School Continuing Education

TESOL Summer Institute FAQ

Can I earn college credit for the institute?
No. This is a noncredit professional development program. If you wish to take TESOL courses for credit, The New School offers both a five-course certificate program in teaching English that can be taken for undergraduate credit and a master of arts degree in TESOL with concentrations in teaching and curriculum development.

Because this is a noncredit program, The New School is not able to offer financial aid. Some employers may offer tuition reimbursement for professional development courses.

Do the tuition and registration fee cover all expenses?
Tuition and registration fee pay for workshop, required books and other course materials, co-curricular activities, and group cultural activities (except the Broadway show and dinner). Fees do not cover housing, meals, or transportation. New School student housing is available starting at $700 for the two weeks of the program.

How do I register?
Email the electronic application form to After your application has been reviewed, you will receive instructions about how to register. After you have registered you can apply for student housing if you wish.

Can I take more than one workshop?
You are limited to one workshop. The three courses run concurrently. You are welcome to return next year to take another.

What if the class I prefer is filled or cancelled?
You will be offered the opportunity to transfer to an open class. If none is available, you will receive a full refund of tuition and fees, including housing fees.

What if I have to cancel my registration?
Please see the registrar's withdrawal and refund schedule for tuition. See the housing office refund schedule for student housing. The registration fee and housing deposit are not refundable unless The New School cancels your course.

I am coming from another country. What kind of visa do I need?
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents should discuss visa requirements with International Student Services before they register.

Connect with the New School