- Ph.D. in History, Cornell University, 2006
- M.A., Cornell University, 2003
- Licenciado en historia, University of Buenos Aires, 2000
Historical Studies Department Chair, Associate Professor of History and Director of The Janey Program in Latin American StudiesProfile:
Federico Finchelstein is Associate Professor of History at the New School for Social Research and Eugene Lang College. Additionally, he is the Director of the Janey Program in Latin American Studies. He has taught at the history department of Brown University and he received his PhD at Cornell University.
Professor Finchelstein is the author of 4 books on fascism, populism, Dirty Wars, the Holocaust and Jewish history in Latin America and Europe. His new book,
The Ideological Origins of the Dirty War (2014), focuses on the theory and practice of the fascist idea throughout the twentieth century, analyzing the connections between fascism and the Holocaust, antisemitism, and the military junta's practices of torture and state violence, with its networks of concentration camps and extermination. His previous book, Transatlantic Fascism (2010), studies the global connections between Italian and Argentine fascism.
Professor Finchelstein has published more than fifty academic articles and reviews on Fascism, Latin American Populism, the Cold War, Genocide and Antisemitism in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian publications, both in collective books and specialized peer review journals in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Israel, Brazil, and Argentina. He has been a contributor to major American, European, and Latin American newspapers, including The New York Times, The Guardian, International Herald Tribune, Mediapart (France), El Diario (NYC) Clarin (Argentina) and Folha de S.Paulo (Brazil).
- El mito del fascismo. De Freud a Borges (Buenos Aires: Capital Intelectual, 2015)
- (with Andreas Kalyvas) Introduction and Edition of Carl Schmitt, Dialogues on Power and Space (Cambridge: Polity, forthcoming-2015)
- (to be edited with Nadia Urbinati) Populism in History and Theory
Selected Articles and Chapters in Books and Journals
- "Returning Populism to History" Constellations (forthcoming, December 2014)
- "A Ditadura "revolucionária"? Sobre a Teoria e Prática da Junta Militar argentina (1976-1983)" in Nildo Avelino, Telma Dias Fernandes &Ana Montoia (eds.) Ditaduras:_a_desmesura_do_poder (história,_memória,_política) (forthcoming-2014)
- "El Holocausto, el fascismo y la guerra sucia" in Christian Sperling (ed.) Historia y Violencia (México: UAM, forthcoming-2014)
- "Prefacio" in Tulio Halperin Donghi, Medio Siglo de Estudios Latinoamericanos (Buenos Aires: Prometeo, 2014)
- "Fascism and the Holocaust." In Dan Stone (ed.) The Holocaust and Historical Methodology (Oxford: Berghahn Books, 2012) 255-271
- "The Holocaust as Ideology. Borges and the Meaning of Transnational Fascism" Dapim - Studies on the Holocaust 25 (2011) [In Separate Issues in Hebrew and English] 273-300
- Also Published as "An Argentine Experience? Borges, Judaism, and the Holocaust" in Adriana Brodsky and Raanan Rein (eds.), The New Cultural History of Jewish Argentina (Leiden: Brill, 2013) 147-178
- "History and Memory from Past to Future. A Dialogue with Dori Laub" Yifat Gutmman and Amy Sodaro (eds.) Memory and the Future: Transnational Politics, Ethics and Society (New York: Palgrave, 2010) 50-65
- Fascism Becomes Desire. On Freud, Mussolini and Transnational Politics." In The Transnational Unconscious Mariano Plotkin and Joy Damousi (eds.) (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009) 97-123
- "On Fascist Ideology." Constellations. An International Journal of Critical and Democratic Theory Volume 15, Number 3 (2008) 320-331
- "Sexo, Raça e Nacionalismo. A construção católica do del estereόtipo corporal judaico na Argentina." in Maria Luiza Tucci Carneiro (ed.) O ANTI-SEMITISMO NAS AMÉRICAS. Memória e História (São Paulo, Brazil: Editora da Universidade de São Paulo-Fapesp, 2007) 181-204
- "The Anti-Freudian Politics of Argentine fascism. Antisemitism, Catholicism and the Internal enemy, 1932-1945." Hispanic American Historical Review, 87, 1, (February, 2007) 77-110
Newspaper and Magazine Articles
- "Cooperate and Move on" (On the Malvinas/ Falklands and Legacy of Margaret Thatcher), (With Fabian Bosoer) The New York Times, Opinion Pages - Room for Debate, April 9, 2013
Room 515B, 80 Fifth AveOffice Hours:
By appointment only.Phone Number/Extension:
212.229.5376 ext. 2991Email:firstname.lastname@example.orgResearch Interests:
- History and Theory
- Comparative and Transnational Fascism
- Intellectual and Cultural History (Latin America and Europe)
- History and Politics
- Holocaust Studies and Historiography
- American Historical Association
Competitions and Appearances:
Invited Lecture. "The Why and How of the Argentine Dirty War". Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, October 7, 2014.
- Invited Lecture. "From the Holocaust to the Dirty War", Boston University, Boston, September 17, 2014
- Invited Lecture. "Fascism, Populism and Dictatorship" Institute of Social Sciences. University of Lisbon. PIUDHist - Programa Interuniversitário de Doutoramento em História & Doutoramento em Política Comparada - ICS-ULisboa (com o Apoio da Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian), Lisbon, June 2, 2014.
- Invited Lecture. "Sobre violencia y guerra sucia en América Latina." Two Invited Lectures. Posgrado en Historiografía. Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Azcapotzalco, Mexico City, May 26-27, 2014.
- "A Twisted Path? From Fascism to Peronism" LASA. Chicago, IL, May 21 - 24, 2014
"The uses of fascism" in "Constellations Journal: 20th Anniversary Conference." NYC, April 27, 2014.
- "The Holocaust and the Dirty War" in "Trauma and History Conference". Institute for Historical Studies and the Department of History at The University of Texas at Austin, March 20-21, 2014
- "Populism" Conference on Political Concepts. Brown University, Cogut Center for the Humanities-Brown University, Providence, November 15-16, 2013.
- Invited Lecture. “Peronism and Cold War Violence”, Hamburger Institut für Sozialforschung, Hamburg, Germany, October 30, 2013.
- Invited Lecture. “Transnational Fascism and Antisemitism in the Transatlantic Space". Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich,Germany, October 28, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker “Fascism, Myth and Critical Theory” Primeras Jornadas Internacionales "Actualidad de la Teoría Crítica" Rosario, Argentina. Facultad de Psicología. Universidad Nacional de Rosario, October 10, 11 and 12, 2013
- "Ideology and the Dirty War: A Public Roundtable on Argentina." Latin American Studies, University of Toronto, Canada, September 27, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker “Conferencia Magistral. Historia, Fascismo y Violencia” In Jornadas Hacia una Historiografía del Violencia, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (UAM) , Mexico City, June 4-6, 2013
- Invited Lecture. “Genealogía del Terror: una historia del fascismo argentino” Departamento de Historia Americana, Universidad de la República. Montevideo, Uruguay, July 8, 2013.
- Invited Lecture. "Fascism and Violence" In When Humanities Falter: Frictions, Detours, Translations, NYU, NYC, May 8, 2013
- “From Auschwitz to the Argentine Concentration camps" In Representing Genocide: Media, Law and Scholarship” Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, April 5-6, 2013.
Selected Reviews and Interviews
Portrait Image ©Esteban Widnicky